Recognized since 2023
Labor and Employment Law - Management
Litigation - Labor and Employment
Scott Evan Simmons focuses his practice on employment litigation and preventative counseling in the firm's Labor & Employment practice. Mr. Simmons regularly counsels clients on a wide range of employment-related topics, including wage-and-hour compliance, hiring, termination and creation and modification of general personnel policies. He also has significant experience defending a wide variety of employment-related lawsuits in front of a variety of employment-related forums, including state and federal courts in multiple states, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, similar state agencies, and the National Labor Relations Board.
As a former business owner with a master’s degree in business administration, Scott draws on his business-management background in communicating with clients on day-to-day legal issues, including risk management, employee relations, labor negotiations, and employer-compliance matters. Previously, Scott spent several years as a partner, chief operating officer, and licensed agent in an independent commercial insurance agency, where he managed operational and legal risks as well as regulatory compliance. In this role, he became well-versed in state insurance laws and regulations, and assisted with compliance with the agency’s multi-state insurer licensing, as well as negotiation of contracts with clients, carriers and other industry partners. He also regularly worked with underwriters to evaluate the agency’s policy risk for its clients. Putting this experience to work for the firm’s insurance industry clients, he is able to assist with state-specific licensing and other regulatory inquires.
Scott has served on Miller & Martin's hiring committee and as co-chair of the firm's Workplace Environmental, Health & Safety/OSHA practice group.
- Obtained summary judgment for employer in arbitration proceeding on race and disability discrimination claims.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement for employer in front of TOSHA relating to a workplace death claim.
- Obtained defense verdict as lead counsel in bench trial on claim of unpaid wages by terminated employee.
- Volunteer Building, Suite 1200
832 Georgia Avenue
Chattanooga, TN 37402-2289
- The University of Tennessee, Juris Doctor, graduated 2010
- The University of Tennessee, M.B.A., graduated 2008
- The University of Tennessee, B.S., graduated 2005
- Tennessee, Tennessee Bar
- Commercial Litigation
- Labor and Employment Law - Management
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.