Scott M. Seaman is a partner at Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in its Chicago office and serves as co-chair of the firm's global Insurance Services Practice Group. He has a national practice representing companies in complex commercial law and litigation matters, with a special emphasis on insurance and reinsurance trials, appeals, meditations, and arbitrations. Scott has had the privilege of working with some of the most dedicated and talented senior management, legal counsel, and insurance and reinsurance professionals in the world and of serving as counsel in matters involving some of the most challenging contemporary coverage and reinsurance issues confronting the industry. Previously, he served as chairman of Meckler Bulger Tilson Marick & Pearson LLP's national insurance coverage litigation and counseling practice group. He began his legal career at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom and was part of its national product liability and insurance group.
As a commercial litigator and trial lawyer with more than 33 years of experience, Scott has had the privilege of working with some of the most dedicated and talented senior management, legal counsel, and insurance and reinsurance claims and litigation professionals in the world and of serving as counsel in precedent setting cases involving some of the most challenging contemporary coverage and reinsurance issues confronting the insurance industry. Scott has a long track record of successfully representing companies before trial courts, appellate courts, and arbitration panels across the country in a variety of high stakes cases and matters involving general liability coverage (primary, umbrella, and excess), professional liability coverage, first-party property coverage, bad faith and extra-contractual matters, fee disputes, and facultative and treaty reinsurance contracts. He has served as national coverage counsel as well as trial and appellate counsel.
Scott also provides advice to companies on cyber, data breach, IoT, nanotechnology, gig economy, viruses and pandemics, climate change, and other emerging issues and on a wide-range of case specific and portfolio issues. He has drafted contract language, trained insurance and reinsurance professionals, and assisted companies in evaluating and resolving issues in the claims stage.
Scott also has handled a variety of challenging international, professional liability, health/life science, director and officer liability, tort and product liability, and business and commercial cases. He has served as an expert witness and arbitrator.
Scott is regarded as one of the leading attorneys in the United States representing insurers and reinsurers in property and casualty matters. He has garnered a Tier 1 Ranking by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business which reports:
- "Scott Seaman is described by market sources as a 'real intellectual,' Seaman receives praise for his representation of insurance carriers in environmental, asbestos and product liability disputes. Clients appreciate his 'ability to get to the heart of the issues and come up with creative ways to resolve a case.'" (2020)
- "Scott Seaman co-chairs the firm's insurance department and is lauded for his experience in a variety of coverage disputes. His areas of expertise include toxic tort and environmental matters. Market sources report: 'He is very proactive, extremely intelligent and results-oriented.'" (2019)
- "Scott Seaman is widely acknowledged for his knowledge across the insurance market, regularly handling complex coverage disputes. One client lauds, 'Scott's expertise is unsurpassed. His ability to present complex issues in a concise and easy-to-understand manner is astounding.'" (2018)
- "Scott Seaman highly regarded in the market for his in-depth insurance expertise and is described as both 'extremely gifted' and 'a great attorney.' He is frequently called on to assist with allocation, professional liability and construction defect issues as well as other insurance disputes." (2017)
- "Scott Seaman has the 'uncanny ability to make the complex understandable,' according to commentators, who point to his superb knowledge in the insurance space. He is highly respected for his robust insurance and reinsurance litigation practice, with sources particularly highlighting that 'he's the expert when it comes to excess and umbrella policies.'" (2016)
- "'Superior trial lawyer' Scott Seaman is experienced in all forms of insurance dispute. According to clients, 'he is a straight shooter who is experienced and knows the issues. We like the results that he gets us.'" (2015)
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
United States Supreme Court
United States Courts of Appeals (Seventh and Tenth Circuits)
United States District Courts (Northern District of Illinois, Central District of Illinois, and Northern District of Florida)
Admitted pro hac vice in numerous matters
HONORS AND DISTINCTIONS
Best Lawyers (since 2010)
Martindale & Hubbell – AV Preeminent rating (5.0/5.0) (since 1997)
Chambers USA (since 2009)
Illinois Super Lawyers (since 2005)
Leading Lawyers (since 2009)
Euromoney Legal Media Group, Expert Guides: World's Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers (since 2018)
American College of Coverage Counsel, Founding Fellow (since 2013)
Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow, (since 2019)
America’s Most Honored Professionals
ICFM Leading Lawyers 500 (top 500 lawyers in the world)
International Who’s Who of Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers
Diversity Law Institute
Trial Law Institute
Scott received his J.D. magna cum laude from Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, where he graduated first in his law school class and served as a law journal editor.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
His extensive writings on substantive legal issues, insurance and reinsurance topics, and litigation practice matters have been recognized by parties and commentators and have been cited by the highest courts in Arizona, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, New Jersey, South Carolina, Wisconsin and West Virginia and by other state and federal appellate and trial courts across the country.
His treatise, Allocation of Losses in Complex Insurance Claims (9th Ed. Thomson Reuters 2020-21), addresses many of the important issues driving contemporary insurance claims and coverage litigation and reinsurance cessions and arbitrations.
Scott is a frequent speaker on insurance, reinsurance, business law, and litigation issues and has Chaired and Co-Chaired numerous conferences.
He has been quoted in numerous publications including The Wall Street Journal, Business Insurance, Crain's Chicago Business, Law360, American Lawyer, Bloomberg Law, and Carrier Management. Mr. Seaman is a sought after speaker on insurance, reinsurance, business law, and litigation issues.
He hosts Hinshaw Insurance Law Radio on the Blog Talk Radio Network.
CHARITABLE ACTIVITIES AND CIVIC ENGAGEMENT
National Board of Selector, the Jefferson Awards for Public Service and Co-Ch