Recognized since 2015
Los Angeles, California
Sanford L. Michelman, co-founder of Michelman & Robinson, LLP (M&R), is a partner in M&R’s Commercial & Business Litigation and Regulatory & Administrative Departments. Resident in the Firm’s Los Angeles Office, Mr. Michelman focuses his practice on the insurance, financial services, advertising and digital media industries. A leading trial attorney and litigator, he is routinely called upon to represent clients in the most difficult and complex matters that frequently extend into a wide array of industries. Mr. Michelman advocates in arbitration, administrative proceedings and in state and federal courts all over the country.
Mr. Michelman has defeated scores of class actions and large exposure cases. He routinely represents insurers, broker/agents, underwriters, private equity groups and other financial services companies, and advertising and media companies throughout the United States. Mr. Michelman also represents clients in investigations conducted by various governmental agencies including Departments of Insurance and Attorney General’s Offices in addition to the Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, Federal Trade Commission and Department of Real Estate, among others.
Mr. Michelman not only represents clients in matters involving the government, he also has experience representing the government itself and handling matters for government officials. He worked for U.S. Senator Howard M. Metzenbaum (D-Ohio), assisting with the investigation of Executive Life Insurance, Inc. and the nomination of Associate Justice Clarence Thomas to the United States Supreme Court. In 2001, the Governor of California appointed Mr. Michelman to the State Athletic Commission of which he was elected Vice-Chairman in 2002 and Chairman in 2004. Mr. Michelman is Chair of M&R's Executive and Recruiting Committees.Community Involvement
A significant contributor to the Los Angeles community, Mr. Michelman was the recipient of the Discovery Award by the Zimmer Children’s Museum. He sits on the Museum's Board of Directors. In addition, Mr. Michelman regularly handles matters on a pro bono basis, a commitment that extends firmwide.
Contact & Links
- 10880 Wilshire Boulevard, 19th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90024
- University of California Los Angeles, BA
- California, State Bar of California
- California, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- American Agents Alliance - Member
- Association of California Insurance Companies - Member
- Buckley School - Past Board of Trustees
- Insurance Brokers of the West - Member
- Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation - Board of Directors
- Latin American Agents Association - Member
- Professional Liability Underwriters Society - Member
- Southwestern School of Law - Past Board of Visitors
- The Zimmer Children's Museum - Past Board of Directors
- Young Presidents' Association - Past Board Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- 2015-2017 Best Lawyers in America USA Guide - Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law
- 2014 - 2016 Super Lawyers Top 100 Attorneys in Southern California
- San Fernando Valley Business Journal's "Top 20 Under 40"
- Latin Agent America's "Valor Award"
- Law Dragon's "Leading Lawyers in America," Finalist
- Recognized by State Bar of California for pro bono work, Bet Tzedek
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.