Recognized since 1995
Sally Bloomfield is a partner in Bricker & Eckler's Regulated Industries group. For more than 30 years, she has practiced in the areas of public utility and administrative law emphasizing state public utility regulatory proceedings. Sally has extensive experience before the Ohio Power Siting Board, having been involved in more than 15 major electric generation projects involving development costs of more than $2 billion. More recently, she has represented wind developers before the Board. Her other representations have included water utilities, independent power generation companies, and wind developers, but she also has experience in representing competitive telecommunications companies and other businesses that have utility issues. She serves as a regulatory counsel to Ohio's largest privately owned water utility.
Sally is a former Commissioner and Chairman of the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio. In her career since completing her term on the commission, she has served as a member and officer of numerous community boards and committees, including as President of the Columbus Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Foundation and the Ohio State Bar Foundation.
Sally has served on the Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority (FCCFA), initially as its first Chair, then as Vice Chair and, since April 2014, as Chair again. During her tenure, the FCCFA built a $96 million convention center that was completed in 1993; significantly expanded the center and built a parking garage at a cost of $75 million that was completed in 2001; converted a 35-year-old auditorium attached to the center into the largest ballroom in the city (a $40 million project that was completed at the end of 2009); and constructed a $140 million convention hotel across the street from the center that was opened in 2012. Currently the FCCFA is building a new 800 space $18 million multilevel garage and investing $125 million to expand and renovate the center.
Sally has also participated in the firm's nonprofit group with an emphasis on the federal filings required for nonprofit organizations.
Contact & Links
- 100 South Third Street
Columbus, OH 43215-4291
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation - Ohio Co-chair
- Columbus Law Library Association - Member
- Columbus; Ohio; American Bar Associations - Member
- Council of Delegates, Ohio State Bar Association - Member
- Franklin County Law Library Resources Board - Member
- National Council, OSU Moritz College of Law - Member
- Ohio Commodores - Member
- Ohio Legal Assistance Foundation - Member, Board of Trustees
- Pro Bono program, Lawyers for Justice of the Columbus Bar Association - Member
- Rotary Club of Columbus - Member
- YWCA Endowment Trust - Trustee
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Energy Law, Columbus, OH (2015)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Energy Law
- Water Law
- •Recipient, Public Interest Law Foundation's Excellence in Public Service, 2015
- •Recipient, The Legal Aid Society of Columbus Outstanding Pro Bono Service Award, 2014
- •Super Lawyer, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2004 to 2014
- •Ranked as AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- •Recipient, Columbus Bar Association/Columbus Bar Foundation Award for Pro Bono Service, 2013
- •Recipient, The Ohio State Bar Foundation Ritter Award, 2007
- •Recipient, The Columbus Bar Association Bar Service Medal, 2002
- •Recipient, Ohio State Bar Association Section on Women in the Profession Nettie Cronise Luttes Award, 2001
- •Recipient, Columbus Bar Foundation Distinguished Service Award, 1999
- •Recipient, The Ohio State University Alumni Association Citizenship Award, 1996
- •Recipient, Lucinda Nieman Madden Award for Law/Government, 1990 YWCA Women of Achievement
- •Recipient, Buckeye Boys Ranch Community Award, 1988
- •Recipient, Columbus Bar Association Community Service Award to persons under 36 years, 1979, 1989
- •Youngest recipient of the Pilot Club of Columbus Woman of the Year Award (professional women's service organization), 1976
- •Recipient, Columbus Junior Chamber of Commerce and Jaycee Women Ten Outstanding Young Citizens of Columbus Award, 1975
Industries & Practices
Energy, Environment & Utilities
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.