S. Margie Venus
Recognized in:Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization LawLitigation - Bankruptcy
Law School:University of Houston
Location:4900 Woodway Drive, Suite 1200Houston, TX 77056
- University of Houston, J.D., graduated 1982
- Rice University, BA, graduated 1979
- Texas, All Texas Courts
- Texas, U.S. District Court of the Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Litigation - Bankruptcy
- Women Leaders in the Law, 2015
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2009 – 2017) Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation - Bankruptcy
- Corporate Counsel - Top Lawyers, 2011, 2012
- ALM 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Corporate Restructuring and Bar Register of Preeminent Women Bankruptcy Lawyers, 2012, 2013
- Houston’s Top Lawyers – H Texas Magazine, 2007
- United States Bankruptcy Court
595 Orleans, Suite 1400
Beaumont, TX 77701
Attorney Case History
Served as counsel for the official committee of unsecured creditors in numerous complex chapter 11 cases in TX, LA, CA, DE, NY, and other venues involving, among other, oil and gas companies, grocery and convenience store chains, an agricultural co-op, sugar producer, homebuilder, steel processing, chemicals, wholesalers, retailers, oil and gas service companies, bank holding company, furniture retailer, and tech company.
Represented purchasers of distressed assets, including steel fabricating assets; assets of a debtor engaged in designing, constructing, converting, and repairing ocean-going vessels, drilling rigs, and offshore platforms; vessels used in supporting pipeline installation, subsea construction, and support services for the offshore oil and gas industry; a retail chain of junior specialty apparel stores; and a refinery facility.
Represented secured creditors, interest holders, and DIP lenders, including representations in cases involving the health industry, commercial real estate industry, steel industry and food industry.
Internationally, served as counsel to acquirer of media assets in South America, counsel to a South American government entity in connection with the recapitalization of its state-owned oil and gas company, and counsel to a European Union telecommunications company in the proposed acquisition of a Central American state-owned telephone company through the privatization process.