Recognized since 2016
Raleigh, North Carolina
Criminal Defense: General Practice
DUI / DWI Defense
Roger W. Smith, Jr., was born in Raleigh, North Carolina and attended the Raleigh public schools. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from the University of North Carolina in 1991. While at UNC he was inducted into the Order of Gimghoul.
After college, Mr. Smith moved to Wyoming where, during a period of about two years, he learned to hand-make rough white-pine furniture in the Western tradition. He returned to North Carolina and co-founded Appalachian Designs, a company through which he continued to manufacture and market this furniture.
In the fall of 1996, Mr. Smith entered the Norman A. Wiggins School of Law at Campbell University. During law school, he received the book award in the Trial Advocacy Program, was named to the School's National Trial Team, and was inducted into the Order of Kivett. He received his law degree in 1999 and joined Tharrington Smith that year. He has been recognized by The National Advocacy for DUI Defense as the top 100 DWI Attorneys in North Carolina for 2014, Recognized by National Trial Lawyers top 100 National Trial Attorneys for 2014. Business magazine, Legal Elite for 2014.Mr. Smith is a member of the Wake County Bar Association and its membership directory committee, the Wake County Academy of Criminal Trial Lawyers, the North Carolina Bar Association, the North Carolina Advocates for Justice, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the American Bar Association, and the American Judicature Society. He and his wife, Leigh Ann Smith, have three children.
Contact & Links
- Wells Fargo Building, Suite 1800
150 Fayetteville Street
P.O. Box 1151
Raleigh, NC 27602
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, BA, graduated 1991
- North Carolina, 1999
- American Bar Association - Member
- American Judicature Society - Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers - Member
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice - Member
- North Carolina Bar Association - Member
- Wake County Academy of Criminal Trial Lawyers - Member
- Wake County Bar Association - Member
- Wake County Bar Association, Membership Directory Committee - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Criminal Defense: General Practice, Raleigh (2022)
- DUI / DWI Defense, Raleigh (2020)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Criminal Defense: General Practice
- DUI / DWI Defense
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2009)
- The National Advocacy for DUI Defense, Top 100 DWI attorney in North Carolina (2014)
- The National Trial Attorneys Top 100 National Trial attorneys (2014)
- North Carolina Business Magazine Legal Elite (2014)
- AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell (2016)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.