Roderick Winsor’s practice concentrates on commercial and insurance-related litigation including class actions.
He has long held an Av peer-review rating by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating. He is recognized as a leading practitioner by Lexpert® Canadian Legal Directory and Best Lawyers® In Canada and is one of the 33 peer-selected Canadian lawyers listed in the World’s Guide to Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers (ExpertGuides: UK).
In recent years Rod has concentrated on complex and multi-jurisdictional litigation involving environmental disputes, product liability, medical and other professional liability, aviation, and conspiracy claims acting for government, insurers, claimants and business.
The breadth of his experience with major claims allows him to consistently achieve exceptional results based on an early solid grasp of the true issues. His analytic skill and ability to think outside the box where necessary have enabled him to achieve innovative ways to enable his clients to succeed.
Rod has been involved in many high-profile cases such as:
- Air India bombing (appointed by the Court to the 4 member plaintiffs’ committee);
- Defending the year long civil conspiracy trial in Aviaco v Boeing et al.
- Acting for the class in Lee Valley v Canada Post;
- Acting for Ontario in the Special Needs Class Action;
- Shooting down of KAL-007 by the Soviet Union (acting for the majority of Canadian claimants); and
- Sinking of the Ocean Ranger (acting for the family receiving the largest award).
Rod has written and lectured widely. He has recently updated his book Good Faith (Canada Law Book), contributed to Carswell’s 2011 Review of Civil Litigation, and is the co-author of TheInsurance Act of Ontario Annotated (Butterworths).