Recognized since 2006
Los Angeles, California
Trusts and Estates
Few appellate specialists have successfully tried a jury case. Robin Meadow tried jury cases for over 20 years at a major commercial firm, while also handling appeals, in many fields of law. Over time, he realized that it’s nearly impossible to excel at both trials and appeals, because the skill sets and practice rhythms differ completely and often clash. Concluding that his greatest strengths lay in appellate work, Robin joined GMSR in 1994, handling his last trial late that year.
Robin’s trial-court experience gives him a unique perspective on appellate work. He understands the demands and pressures trial lawyers face and the many ways that things can go wrong in the trial court. And he is very much at home consulting with trial lawyers during trial, helping them protect their appellate record so they’re well positioned to either preserve a victory or overturn a defeat.
Robin’s practice at GMSR continues the substantive focus he developed in his earlier years—business disputes, real estate, partnerships, and probate and entertainment law. But, like most appellate lawyers, he is a generalist and at GMSR has also handled multiple significant appeals involving healthcare, family law, personal injury and bankruptcy.
He is also an expert in technology for appellate lawyers and courts. A pioneer in the use of electronic records and briefs, Robin co-authored the California Second District Court of Appeal’s first protocol for electronic briefs (since adopted by other California Courts of Appeal), and he filed the first electronic brief ever accepted by a California appellate court.
When he isn’t practicing law, he enjoys spending time with his family, reading about history and playing bass guitar in a rock band.
- 5900 Wilshire Boulevard, 12th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90036
- University of California Berkeley , J.D., graduated 1971
- University of California Berkeley, AB, graduated 1968
- California, The State Bar of California
- American Bar Association: Litigation Section; Appellate Advocacy Committee of the Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section - Member
- California Academy of Appellate Lawyers - Member; President (2006-2007)
- California Court of Appeal, Second Appellate District Mediation Program - Mediator
- California Court of Appeal, Second Appellate District Mediation Program Steering Committee - Member
- Chancery Club of Los Angeles - Member
- Friends of the Los Angeles County Law Library - Member, Board of Directors
- Los Angeles County Bar Association: Appellate Courts Committee - Member
- National Board of Appellate Lawyers, National Board of Trial Advocacy - Founding Member
- State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization - Certified Specialist - Appellate Law (1997-present)
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Appellate Practice, Los Angeles (2018)
- Appellate Practice, Los Angeles (2013)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Appellate Practice
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Trusts and Estates
- Family Law Appeals
- California Lawyer Magazine Attorney of the Year (2016)
- Named in The Best Lawyers in America (Appellate Law) (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Southern California Super Lawyers (Appellate) (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Top 100 Southern California Super Lawyers (2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Pamela E. Dunn Appellate Justice Award (2014)
- Best Lawyers' 2013 Los Angeles Appellate Practice "Lawyer of the Year"
- Named in Chambers and Partners USA (chambersandpartners.com) as a Band 1 Appellate Litigator
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.