Bob Freitas, one of the founding partners of Freitas & Weinberg LLP, is a versatile trial lawyer who focuses his practice on antitrust and competition counseling and litigation, intellectual property litigation, representation of policyholders in insurance coverage claims and litigation, and complex litigation for technology companies.
- Intellectual Ventures I, et al. v. Capital One Financial Corp., et al. (D. Md.). Mr. Freitas represented Intellectual Ventures companies in Sherman Act Section 2 litigation involving the acquisition and enforcement of patents. The defendants were awarded summary judgment in December 2017.
- n re TFT-LCD (Flat Panel) Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Cal.). Mr. Freitas represented HannStar Display Corporation in a multidistrict price fixing proceeding in the Northern District of California. Mr. Freitas's work included representation of HannStar, which pleaded guilty to price fixing in a related criminal case, in a trial against Best Buy Co. and affiliates. The jury awarded less than 1% of the $770,000,000 in single damages sought by the plaintiffs. The Best Buy TFT-LCD trial was a finalist for Global Competition Review's 2014 Litigation of the Year.
- Rambus Inc. v. Hynix Semiconductor, Inc., et al. (N.D. Cal.). Mr. Freitas represented Nanya Technology Corporation and Nanya Technology Corporation USA in a patent infringement case in which Rambus asserted memory technology patents against features incorporated in JEDEC-standard DRAM. Mr. Freitas's work included representation of Nanya and Nanya USA in a Sherman Act Section 2 trial based on Rambus's assertion of standard essential patents.
- National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, PA v. Seagate Technology LLC (N.D. Cal.) . Mr. Freitas obtained a defense for Seagate in an insurance coverage dispute arising out of the patent infringement lawsuit that resulted in the Federal Circuit's landmark decision in In re Seagate Technology, 497 F.3d 1360 (Fed. Cir. 2007).
- MyKey Technology, Inc. v. Guidance Software, Inc. and Guidance-Tableau, LLC (C.D. Cal.) Mr. Freitas represented MyKey Technology, Inc. in a multidistrict proceeding involving computer forensic devices.
- In re DRAM Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Cal.). Mr. Freitas represented Nanya and Nanya USA in a multidistrict price fixing proceeding in the Northern District of California. He won summary judgment for Nanya Technology Corporation in the direct purchaser class actions.
- European Commission DRAM Investigation. Mr. Freitas also represented Nanya and Nanya USA in the European Commission DRAM price fixing investigation. The DRAM investigation included the Commission's first use of the 2008 regulation on settlements in cartel cases.
- Vident v. Dentsply International, Inc. (C.D. Cal.). Mr. Freitas obtained a Rule 68 judgment for $18,000,000 for Vident, one of the competitors identified as a target of the conduct found unlawful in United States v. Dentsply International, Inc., 399 F.3d 181 (3d Cir. 2005).
- Confidential Representation of Technology Company (International Centre for Dispute Resolution). Mr. Freitas won a unanimous award, including a finding of insurance bad faith, in an international arbitration proceeding.
- ABB Power T&D Company v. Alstom ESCA Corporation (N.D. Cal.). Mr. Freitas obtained a defense verdict in a four-week trade secret, copyright, and Lanham Act jury trial.
- United Computer Systems v. AT&T Corporation and Lucent Technologies (American Arbitration Association). Mr. Freitas defeated a $6,000,000,000 lost profits damages claim in a software license dispute.
- California Retail Liquor Dealers Association v. Midcal Aluminum, Inc., 445 U.S. 97 (1980). Mr. Freitas was second chair for the prevailing respondent in the leading Supreme Court case on the antitrust state action doctrine.
- Samantar v. Yousuf, 560 U.S. 305 (2010). Mr. Freitas was co-counsel with Professor Chimène Keitner for amici curiae Professors of Public International Law and Comparative Law. In Samantar v. Yousuf¸ the Supreme Court rejected a claim that the former Minister of Defense of Somalia was immune under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act from claims by victims of torture.
- Treasurer (2017-19) and Member (2014-Present), Executive Committee, California Lawyers Association Antitrust, Unfair Competition Law and Privacy Section
- Mediator, United States District Court, Northern District of California (2007-Present)
- Trustee (1993-2018) and President (2000-02), UC Hastings Foundation
- Member, Advisory Board, Worldwide Endometriosis March (2013-Present)
- Director, Oregon Football Association (2012-Present)
- Member, University of Oregon Intercollegiate Athletics Advisory Council
- Director (1997-99), Los Angeles Business Council
- Director (1995-99), Public Counsel
Select Publications and Speaking Engagements
- 23rd Annual Golden State Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Institute, "Big Stakes Trials," October 24, 2013
- The U.S. Patent Landscape in 2013: An Appraisal and Practice Guide, "Joinder and Venue Issues," Santa Clara County Bar Association High Technology and Business Law/Litigation Sections, September 20, 2013
- Patent Monetization Strategies for Taiwan Companies, Taiwan Technology Industry Legal Officers Association, Taipei, Taiwan, May 24, 2013
- Nine Patent Licensing No-Nos, No-Nos 4-6, Licensing Executives Society (USA and Canada), March 13, 2013
- "The America Invents Act One Year Later – Baby's Growing Up Fast," Santa Clara County Bar Association High Technology Section, September 5, 2012
- European Union Competition Law and Practice, The International Antitrust Forum 2011, Taiwan Fair Trade Commission, Taipei, Taiwan September 19, 2011
- Current Trends and Issues in Antitrust Litigation 2010, "Effective Trial Presentation of Antitrust Issues," Practicing Law Institute, 2010
- "Antitrust Policy A Year Into The Obama Administration: What Have We Learned? What's Next?" Directors Roundtable, 2010
- Co-Author, "Understanding The Objective Prong In Seagate," IP Law 360, 2009
- "Patent Litigation 2008, Proving Damages and Issues to Consider in Pursuing and Defending the Damages Case," Practicing Law Institute, San Francisco, 2008
- "Calculating and Proving Patent Damages, Beyond the Usual Courses of Action for Pursuit and Defense in a Patent Infringement Case, Closing Arguments For The Defense," Law Seminars International, 2007
- "Intellectual Property Law, Patent Cases in the Supreme Court," Practicing Law Institute, 2006
- "Effective Financial Expert Testimony, Presenting Expert Testimony, Tips for Effective Communication," Law Seminars International, 2004
- Event Co-Chair, "Calculating and Proving Patent Damages," Law Seminars International, 2004
- "Directors and Officers Insurance and Indemnity," VC Task Force, 2004
- Contributing Editor, "Collaborative Ventures," Proof of Conspiracy Under Federal Antitrust Laws, Second Edition, American Bar Association (forthcoming)
- Contributing Author, "Vertical Restraints of Trade," Antitrust Law Developments (Seventh), American Bar Association
- Contributing Editor, "Cartwright Act," California Antitrust Law, Third Edition
- Contributing Editor, "Intellectual Property and Antitrust Law," "Cartwright Act," California Antitrust Law, Second Edition