Recognized since 2010
Robert C. Gerhard, III is an elder law specialist with the Montgomery County estate planning and elder law offices of Gerhard & Gerhard, P.C. located in Jenkintown, Pennsylvania. Attorney Gerhard specializes in elder law matters, helping his clients to protect assets from long-term care costs by qualifying them for Medicaid long-term care benefits.
Mr. Gerhard is author of the law treatise Pennsylvania Medicaid Long-Term Care 2022 (currently in its 18th Edition) and the Pennsylvania Medicaid Long-term Care Lawsource, both published by the George T. Bisel Company. He is a co-author of Pennsylvania Elder Law, Fifth Edition, published by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute Press. He devotes his practice exclusively to elder law matters. Mr. Gerhard is certified as an elder law attorney (CELA) by the National Elder Law Foundation, one of just a few elder law specialists in Pennsylvania.
Robert C. Gerhard, III is a Fellow of The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC). ACTEC is an international organization of approximately 2,600 lawyers elected to membership by demonstrating the highest level of integrity, commitment to the profession, competence, and experience as trust and estate counselors.
He served as chair of the Montgomery Bar Association's Elder Law Committee for over 15 years, and is past chair of the Pennsylvania Bar Association's Elder Law Section.
Mr. Gerhard is a member of the Montgomery County Estate Planning Council, Philadelphia Estate Planning Council, and the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys. He served as president of the Pennsylvania Association of Elder Law Attorneys (PAELA) for two years, 2020 & 2021, and is past chair of the programming committee and nominating committees for that organization. Attorney Gerhard was recognized by the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys as "Pennsylvania Chapter Member of the Year" in 2019 and again in 2022.
Mr. Gerhard received his law degree (J.D.) from the Dickinson School of Law and earned his tax law degree (LL.M. Taxation) from the Villanova University School of Law. Mr. Gerhard served as law clerk to the Honorable Theodore S. Gutowicz in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas, Orphans' Court Division.
He has been honored with Martindale Hubbell's highest lawyer rating of "AV" for legal ability and ethics, and has been selected for inclusion in 2005 - 2022 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® and Philadelphia's Best Lawyers® 2022 Edition in the field of elder law.
Mr. Gerhard is co-author and editor of the Montgomery County Elder Law Handbook, and is editor emeritus of the Pennsylvania Bar Association's Elder Law Section Newsletter.
Mr. Gerhard teaches numerous continuing education courses for attorneys and long-term care professionals, including Representing an Individual Entering a Nursing Home and the Do's and Don'ts of the Medicaid Application Process.
Robert C. Gerhard III received the Excellence in Elder Law Award from the Pennsylvania Bar Association (PBA) Elder Law Section. The award recognized Gerhard for "superior professional efforts in the field of elder law, significant contributions to the legal profession and noteworthy service to the elderly.” The award was presented during the 17th Annual Elder Law Institute at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, Philadelphia.
Gerhard is certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation, as approved by the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania and American Bar Association.
Bob enjoys tennis, pickleball, any activity involving the ocean, and his family dog, a high strung but loveable Boston Terrier.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: http://www.paelderlaw.net/home/
- 815 Greenwood Avenue, Suite 8
Jenkintown, PA 19046
- Villanova University, LL.M, graduated 1998
- Penn State Dickinson School of Law, J.D., graduated 1995
- Dickinson College, BA, graduated 1992
- Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) - Fellow
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys - Member
- Montgomery Bar Association, Elder Law Committee - Served as Chair for 18 years
- Montgomery County Estate Planing Council - Member
- Pennsylvania Association of Elder Law Attorneys - Charter Member; President 2020-2021
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Elder Law Section - Past Chair
- Philadelphia County Estate Planning Council - Member
- Rotary Club of Glenside - Past President
- Pennsylvania - Trial Courts
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Elder Law
- Pennsylvania SuperLawyers, Elder Law, 2005-2022
- Best Lawyers, Elder Law, 2010 - 2022
- AV Preeminent Rated by Martindale Hubbell, 2003 - 2022
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Pennsylvania Chapter Member of the Year, 2019
- Pennsylvania Bar Association's ELS Excellence in Elder Law Award, 2014
- Philadelphia Inquirer's Neightbor's Choice Award, Law
- The Legal Intelligencer, Lawyer on the Fast Track
- Legal Leaders, Elder Law, 2013
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.