Richard is an experienced property and real estate lawyer with a particular focus on commercial transactions, large and mid-scale development projects, and commercial and retail leasing.
Richard has extensive experience advising clients on complex property transactions.
* Acting for Arena Funds Management in the sale of assets held in their office and property fund portfolios with a value in excess of $300 million, which involved the simultaneous settlement of assets located in Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia and New Zealand
* Acting for the Aventus Retail Property Fund in the acquisition of homemaker centres in Queensland, Victoria and New South Wales, with a valuation in excess of $200 million. This included undertaking legal due diligence, preparing a report for the board, negotiating sale documentation with the respective vendors and attending to settlement. Richard also assisted in the successful listing of the Fund by undertaking property due diligence and preparation of the product disclosure statement
* Acting for the Australian arm of a Singaporean exchange listed business, Grand Chancellor Group, in the acquisition and lease-back of the strata-titled office portion of 300 Flinders Street, Melbourne from Victoria University for $48.5 million, undertaking legal due diligence, preparing documents for the tender response, negotiating sale documentation and preparing and attending to settlement
* Acting for the vendor in the sale of the Kingsgate Ibis Hotel in Melbourne to an international purchaser for more than $27 million. The transaction involved the sale of the freehold and business assets, the preparation of documentation for a sale by expression of interest, negotiating the terms of sale with the purchaser and attending to simultaneous settlement of the freehold and business
* Acting for a prospective new listed trust undertaking property due diligence for the purchase of six sub-regional shopping centres in excess of $350 million in both Victoria and New South Wales, which included reviewing lease documentation, reporting on material risk issues and preparing an extensive due diligence report
* Conducting various legal due diligences for both vendors and purchasers for commercial, retail and industrial properties across Australia, including undertaking searches, advising on risk and potential risk mitigation steps
Richard is also experienced in leasing related matters.