Richard Shapiro served as a law clerk to Federal District Court Judge Robert G. Doumar in Norfolk, and now exclusively handles injury law. He co-authored “Railroad Health & Safety; a Litigator’s Guide” which appears in a leading law encyclopedia, “American Jurisprudence Trials”, and is Board Certified in Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification of Massachusetts (ABA Accredited).
Rick was elected chair of the Railroad Law Section of the American Association for Justice (AAJ) for two terms and has lectured on evidence law to the AAJ, VTLA, Georgia TLA, as well as to Virginia lawyers. Rick is also a Virginia "Super Lawyer" (since 2010) and possess an "A V" Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, one of the most respected legal rating services in the country.
Prominent Cases Rick Has Litigated During His Career
- Ratliff v. Norfolk Southern Railway Co., 2009 WL 649268 (March 12, 2009) (Link to WV Supreme Court Opinion)
- Payne v. CSX Transportation, Inc., No. 2-231-07, (Dec. 27, 2013) (Link to June 2015 TN Supreme Court Opinion)
- Bilenky v. Ryobi Technologies, Inc., et.al, No. 2:13-cv-00345 (E.D. Va. June 26, 2015) (Link to Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals opinion upholding $2.5 million jury verdict)
Admitted to Practice Law in the Following Jurisdictions
- North Carolina
- West Virginia
- Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Car accidents
- Wrongful death
- Accidents involving 18-wheelers
- Railroad worker injuries and disease claims
- Bike accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Medical malpractice