Attorney Richard M. Goldberg, a principal in the law firm of Hourigan, Kluger & Quinn, joined the firm’s Business Team in 1964 and is widely regarded as the dean of labor law in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
A graduate of Dickinson College and Dickinson School of Law, Attorney Goldberg holds a Master of Laws degree from Temple University Law School. In 2006, he was given the President’s Award by the Luzerne County Bar Association for his service to the legal community. He is also the recipient of a special President’s Award from the Pennsylvania Bar Association for outstanding leadership. He has been designated a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in the areas of employment and labor law every year since
In addition to his career as an attorney, Attorney Goldberg has had an extensive military career, having retired with the rank of Colonel from the U.S Army Reserve. He served as the Chief of Staff of the 79th Army Reserve Command at the Willow Grove Naval Air Station, and also served three-year stints as the commanding officer of the Army Reserve Centers in Hanover Township and Scranton. He is the recipient of numerous medals and commendations, including the Legion of Merit and three Meritorious Service Medals.
Attorney Goldberg has also been very active in the Jewish community, having served as President and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Temple Israel and President of the Jewish Community Center of the Wyoming Valley, both in Wilkes-Barre. He is the recipient of the B’nai B’rith Community Service Award and the Jewish Family Service Distinguished Service Award.
Attorney Goldberg began his legal career as a clerk to Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice Benjamin R. Jones. He went on to serve as Luzerne County Assistant District Attorney, Deputy Attorney General of Pennsylvania, Executive Assistant to the Attorney General of Pennsylvania, Chief Legal Counsel for the Pennsylvania State Police, an examiner with the Pennsylvania Board of Law Examiners for 27 years, and Chief County Solicitor for Luzerne County. He is admitted to practice before all Pennsylvania courts and federal District Courts, the U.S Third Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Attorney Goldberg is a member and past President of the Luzerne County Bar Association; member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association, where he served on its Board of Governors and House of Delegates, and chaired numerous committees; a member of the American Bar Association, where he served on numerous committees and chaired the Standing Committee on the Unauthorized Practice of Law; a member of the American Judicature Society; and a fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers. He was recognized with a special award from the Dickinson School of Law Alumni Association’s Northeastern Pennsylvania Chapter for his leadership and many years of service to his alma mater.
A resident of Wilkes-Barre, Attorney Goldberg is married to Rosemary Chromey. He is the father of three children, Harry, Jane, and Leah Goldberg.
- Hourigan, Kluger & Quinn, 1964-Present
- Principal, member of Commercial Team with an emphasis in Labor & Employment Law
- Chief County Solicitor, Luzerne County, 1984-1999
- Pennsylvania Board of Legal Examiners, Member for 27 Years
- Deputy Attorney General and Executive Assistant to the Attorney General of Pennsylvania, 1967-1970
- Assistant District Attorney, Luzerne County, 1965-1967
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Law Clerk, 1964-1965
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS & RECOGNITIONS
- Named in the Best Lawyers in America for Employment
Law – Managementin 2018 & 2019
- Named in the Best Lawyers in America for Labor Law – Union for 2019
- Member, Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, Labor and Employment, 2005-2014
- Top-Rated Lawyer in Labor and Employment, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
- Listed in "The Best Lawyers in America," Employment Law-Management, 2015
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Past Member of the Board of Governors and Past Chairman of Young Lawyers’ Division
- Member and Past President, Luzerne County Bar Association
- Recipient of the President’s Award, 2006Member, American Bar Association
- Past Chairman of Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee
- Past Member of the House of Delegates of both the American Bar Association and Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Admitted to Practice: Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Superior Court of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Courts of Common Pleas
- Temple University School of Law, Master of Laws in Labor Law
- Dickinson School of Law, Juris Doctor
- Dickinson College, Bachelor of Arts