Richard Heller was named the Best Lawyers® 2016 Litigation – Trust & Estates “Lawyer of the Year” in San Diego. Richard served as the leader of the firm’s Litigation team for five years, from 2009 through 2013. Richard is a trial lawyer with extensive trial experience. His practice emphasizes complex high-stakes business and commercial litigation and trust, estate, and probate litigation.
- Defended manager of a limited liability company in defeating claims to dissolve the LLC, and in defeating breach of fiduciary duty claims for $69 million.
- Represented Trustees in defending $40M challenge to separate property character of trust corpus.
- Represented court-appointed conservator in trust contest litigation resulting in over $25M being returned to family members.
- Represented court-appointed guardian ad litem in breach of fiduciary duty case resulting in over $12M being returned to trust.
- Represented real estate developer in action challenging developer’s $7M interest.
- Represented beneficiaries in undue influence/breach of fiduciary duty case resulting in over $3M in additional bequests to beneficiaries.
- Received judgment for over $3M for breach of fiduciary duty against trustee.
- Received judgment upholding $2.8M real property claim against breach of contract claims.
- Received jury verdict in defamation action for over $1M.
- Represents clients in a wide variety of complex business litigation, including commercial, real estate, fraud, contract, partnership and corporate disputes.
- Represents clients in trust and will contests and a wide variety of trust and estate litigation including elder financial abuse, breach of fiduciary duty, accounting and surcharge, property characterization, creditor claims and no-contest clause disputes.