Casellas Alcover & Burgos, P.S.C.
Recognized since 2014
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Arbitration and Mediation
For over 25 years, Ricardo has practiced complex commercial litigation and corporate counseling primarily in federal courts and international arbitration proceedings involving First Amendment defense, product liability, lender's liability, distribution, franchising and trade regulation issues.
Since 1987, Ricardo has appeared as lead counsel, primarily for the defense, for many Fortune 500 companies in approximately 50 reported federal cases, that comprise 18 appeals successfully argued or briefed to date before the U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit and various civil jury trials as lead counsel in the U.S. District Court of Puerto Rico.
Recently, Ricardo obtained and collected one of the largest multi-million dollar arbitration awards in a dealer termination case under Law 75 in favor of a Puerto Rico distributor against foreign corporations. In a case of first impression, Ricardo also successfully represented a renowned liquor producer to validate damages provisions in a distribution agreement governed by Law 75.
Ricardo serves as party-appointed arbitrator under the auspices of the AAA and the ICC in commercial disputes involving claims under various distribution laws, insurance, trademark, and labor-employment. Ricardo has been approved and serves as a mediator for the U.S. District Court, Puerto Rico.
During 2011, the two Chief Judges of the U.S. District Court of Puerto Rico appointed Ricardo as Chairman of Merit Selection Panels for nominations of U.S. Magistrate Judges. In 2012, Chief Judge Sandra Lynch of the U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit appointed Ricardo to serve a four-year term in the Local Rules Committee.
Ricardo has been keynote speaker at a CLE federal appellate practice seminar sponsored by the U.S. District Court, Puerto Rico and the P.R. Chapter of the FBA, which Ricardo presided, and has given presentations to the General Counsel Association in San Francisco, California, to the Pharmaceutical Industry Association in P.R. and to clients, on topics of federal trial and appellate practice, franchising, distribution and antitrust law. He is a Fellow of the Foundation of the American Bar Association and the Federal Bar Association.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.cabprlaw.com/ricardo-f-casellas-sanchez
- 208 Ponce de Leon Avenue Suite 1133
Popular Center Building
San Juan 00918
- Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Foundation of the Federal Bar Association - Fellow
- U.S. District Court, Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Magistrate Judicial Clerkships
- United States Court of Appeals
- United States District Court
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Franchise Law, San Juan, Puerto Rico (2022)
- Litigation, San Juan, Puerto Rico (2020)
- Franchise Law, San Juan, Puerto Rico (2019)
- Arbitration and Mediation, San Juan, Puerto Rico (2017)
- Appellate Practice, San Juan, Puerto Rico (2016)
- Appellate Practice, San Juan, Puerto Rico (2014)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico™ 2022 for work in:
- Appellate Practice
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Franchise Law
- Ranked by Chambers and Partners, Latin America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2012 & 2013)
- Appointed by Chief Judge Hon. Sandra Lynch, First Circuit Advisory Committee on Rules (2012)
- Appointed by Hon. José A. Fusté, then Chief U.S. District Judge, P.R., as Chair of Merit Selection Panel for the Appointment of a U.S. Magistrate Judge (2011)
- Appointed by Hon. Aida Delgado, Chief U.S. District Judge, P.R., as Chair of Merit Selection Panel for Re-Nomination of U.S. Magistrate Judge Camille Vélez (2011)
- Appointed by Hon. José A. Fusté, Local Rules Committee, U.S. District Court, P.R. (2005)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.