Rebecca practises in the area of bankruptcy and insolvency. She has experience in receiverships, security enforcement, debt collection, creditors' rights, debtor protection and forbearance agreements and has represented lenders, debtors, receivers, trustees, inspectors, court-appointed monitors and DIP financiers in regional, national and cross-border insolvencies. Rebecca is the recipient of a TMA Toronto “Women of Excellence” award for Emerging Talent (2018) and a Lexpert Rising Star award (2017). She was recognized as an Up and Coming Lawyer in Chambers Canada 2019 and a 'Rising Star' in insolvency & restructuring by Expert Guides (2015-2018).
- Lead counsel to Ernst & Young Inc. in connection with its role as court-appointed monitor of the Fresh Foods Group pursuant to the CCAA. The U.S. affiliates of the Canadian Debtors are concurrently restructuring under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
- Counsel to FTI Consulting Canada Inc. in connection with its role as court-appointed monitor of the Just Energy Group pursuant to the CCAA, which debtors are undertaking a cross-border restructuring under the CCAA and Chapter 15 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code
- Lead counsel to AgMedica Bioscience Inc. in connection with its successful restructuring under the CCAA.
- Counsel to Green Relief Inc. in connection with its restructuring and sale under the CCAA
- Counsel to JTI-Macdonald Corp., one of the largest tobacco companies in Canada, in its proceedings under the CCAA with a goal to achieve a global resolution of the myriad of litigation claims against it exceeding $500 billion. The two other largest tobacco companies have also filed for CCAA protection resulting in unprecedented industry-wide proceedings.
- Lead counsel to RCR International Inc. and W.J. Dennis & Company in connection with a sale of substantially all of the assets of the companies through a CCAA proceeding and United States Chapter 15 proceeding.
- Counsel to TELoIP Inc. with respect to its restructuring under the CCAA.
- Counsel to PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc. in its role as the court-appointed monitor of Pacific Exploration & Production Corporation and its subsidiaries, which debtors are undertaking a cross-border restructuring under the CCAA, Chapter 15 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code and a foreign recognition under Law 1116 of 2006 in Colombia.
- Counsel to GuestLogix Inc. and its subsidiaries with respect to their restructuring under the CCAA.
- Represented the Trustees of the UK Pension Plan and the UK Pension Protection Fund in pursuing a $3 billion claim in the global restructuring proceedings of Nortel Networks and its subsidiaries, and in the allocation of its global proceeds of sale.
- Counsel to the operating lender in a recent out-of-court restructuring and re-financing of a Canadian renewable energy company.
- Counsel to a consumer products company that successfully restructured its affairs through a proposal under the BIA.
- Supporting counsel to various real estate development companies and their various related entities through their respective proceedings under the CCAA.
- Supporting counsel to an oil and gas company through their Canadian CCAA proceedings.
- Supporting counsel to the lead lender and significant shareholder through the restructuring proceedings of an oil and gas company.
- Counsel to various private equity funded lenders with respect to the recovery of funds through enforcement of security as well as maintaining facilities through restructuring proceedings.
- Represents various clients in respect of receivership proceedings, bankruptcy matters, corporate reorganizations and workouts.
- Acted as a court-appointed independent solicitor during the execution of a search warrant pursuant to s. 189 of the BIA.
- Regularly represents lenders and other parties in Canadian and cross-border insolvency and enforcement proceedings.
Rebecca is the founder of the TGF Newsletter, a quarterly publication that keeps readers up to date on restructuring and litigation cases.
Rebecca is a member of:
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation
- INSOL International
- Turnaround Management Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association, Insolvency Section