Recognized since 2009
Natural Resources Law
Project Finance and Development Practice
Partner of Carey and co-head of the firm's Natural Resources and Environment Group. His practice focuses on natural resources, mining, water rights, energy, environment, surface lands, project financing, and corporate and commercial law.
Activities and Memberships
- At-Large council member representative for Latin America, Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA).
- Trustee-at-Large, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (2012-2015).
- Professor of Mining Law, Universidad de los Andes (since 2003).
- Professor of Mining Law, Universidad de Chile (since 1996).
- Member of the Chilean Bar Association and former advisor (2006-2011).
- Visiting professor in several graduate studies and Master Degree Programs on Natural Resources Law at several Chilean Universities.Member of the panel of arbitrators, Arbitration Center of the Chamber of Commerce of Santiago.
- Member of the Legal Committee of the National Mining Association (SONAMI).
- Member of the Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA).
- Member of the International Bar Association (IBA).
- Member of the American Bar Association (ABA).
- Member of the Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada (PDAC).
- Chair of the Advisory Council of the World Association of Mining Lawyers (WAOML).
- Member of the Red Interamericana de Especialistas en Legislación Ambiental (RIELA).
- Co-author of the article "Citizen Participation and Prior Consultation in the Ibero-American Mining Sector", Ibero-American Mining Law Annuary, Volume II, Universidad Externado de Colombia (2022).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter of the guide "Practice Guide Mining" - Lexology Getting the Deal Through (2019, 2021, 2022).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter of Construction and Projects Q&As Global Guide, Thomson Reuters (2018-2020).
- Author of the Chilean chapter on Mining, Getting the Deal Through (2010-2013).
- Special courses on mining law for judges and members of the Courts of Appeals, organized by the Judiciary Academy of Chile.
- Presented papers on Chilean mining, energy, natural resources regulations and environment at numerous seminars, both in Chile and abroad.
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Lawyer Page: https://www.carey.cl/en/resume/rafael-vergara/
- Isidora Goyenechea 2800, Piso 43
- Chile, Bar Association of Chile
- Mining Law , Santiago, Chile (2021)
- Natural Resources Law, Santiago, Chile (2019)
- Natural Resources Law, Santiago, Chile (2016)
- Energy Law, Santiago, Chile (2015)
- Natural Resources Law, Santiago, Chile (2014)
- Environmental Law
- Mining Law
- Natural Resources Law
- Project Finance and Development Practice
- Water Rights
- Recognized in Mining and Projects, Chambers Latin America.
- Recognized in Mining, Legal 500.
- Ranked as Most Highly Regarded Individual in Mining, Who’s Who Legal.
- Elected Best Undergraduate Professor Award, Law School, Universidad de Chile.
- Lawyer of the Year Award in Energy and Natural Resources, Best Lawyers (2014 and 2016).
- Recognized in Natural Resources; Environmental; Energy and Project Finance and Development, Best Lawyers.
- Recognized in Energy, LACCA.
- Recognized in Energy, Who’s Who Legal.
- Winner in the Natural Resources: Mining Category, Leading Lawyers, Idealis (2013 and 2015).
- Named Lawyer of the Year in Resources (Mining), Who's Who Legal (2022).
- Recognized in Mining & Metals, Energy, Environment and in Project Finance and Infrastructure, Latin Lawyer 250.
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.