A leading cannabis-focused lawyer, Rachel helps clients nationwide proactively plan and implement strategies to capitalize on strategic business opportunities.
At the vanguard of the retail marijuana industry, Rachel leverages more than a decade of experience guiding clients to establish, expand, and protect profitable businesses in a rapidly-evolving legal, regulatory, and financial environment.
From years of interacting with regulators and taxing authorities Rachel knows how state and local provisions will be applied in practice and what clients can anticipate at every step of the licensing process and beyond. She vigorously protects clients’ interests in tax audits and deficiency assessments at the state and local level, as well as IRC §280E adjustments.
Clients value Rachel’s ability to distill complex, often overwhelming information, into a prioritized plan of action. As a strategic advisor, she helps clients prepare and get positioned to seize opportunities, like starting operations in newly legalized states, scale businesses into multiple jurisdictions, or launch new brands and products.
Rachel’s clients range from individual entrepreneurs and investors, to start-ups to publicly traded companies with operations in one or multiple states in cannabis and cannabis-adjacent businesses. Domestic and international entities exploring cannabis business opportunities turn to Rachel for pragmatic, industry-savvy counsel as they evaluate potential options. Rachel also serves as an expert witness on legal and regulatory issues involving hemp, marijuana, CBD, and other cannabinoids.
Before she joined Holland & Hart, Rachel was a partner at Greenspoon Marder, serving as Chair of the firm’s Cannabis Law practice and as a member of the Management Committee.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.hollandhart.com/rkgillette
- 555 Seventeenth Street, Suite 3200
Denver, CO 80202-3979
- Quinnipiac University , J.D., graduated 2007
- University of Colorado - Boulder, B.A., graduated 2004
- Colorado, Colorado Bar
- Connecticut, Connecticut Bar
- Colorado Bar Association - Member
- Colorado NORML - Board Member and Former Executive Director
- International Cannabis Bar Association - Founding Member
- National Cannabis Industry Association - Member
- NORML - Legal Committee, Member
- Women Grow - Founding Member
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Tax Law
- Chambers & Partners, Cannabis Law - Nationwide - Western United States, Band 1, 2019-2020
- Cannabis Law Report, Global Top 200 Cannabis Lawyers, 2020-2021
- Law Week Colorado, Barrister’s Choice, Best Marijuana Law Lawyer, 2019-2020
- Denver Business Journal, 2019 Outstanding Women in Business, Finalist, 2019
- Greendorphin.com, 20 Most Influential Women In Cannabis, 2019
- High Times magazine, Women of Weed, 2018-2019
- National Law Journal, Cannabis Trailblazer, 2018 - 2019
- 5280 Magazine, Top Lawyers, Marijuana Law, 2015-2019
- Remedy Review, Top 20 Women on the Move in Cannabis, 2018
- mg Magazine, Powerful Cannabis Attorney, 2018
- Complex Magazine, 15 of the Most Powerful Women In the Weed Industry, 2017
- NORML, Distinguished Counsel’s Circle, 2016
- Sensi Magazine, Named One of 24 Cannabis Pioneers, May 2016
- Cannabis Business Executive, 100 Most Influential People in the Cannabis Industry, 2014
- Cannabis Business Awards, MVP, 2014-2015
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.