Recognized since 2012
New York, New York
Employment Law - Individuals
Working for Employees, Whistleblowers, and Consumers
A partner in our New York office, Rachel Geman’s current practice includes serving as co-lead counsel in consumer privacy litigation against fintech company Plaid; serving on the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in contaminated drug litigation (Valsartan); representing a certified class of women in employment discrimination litigation against Goldman Sachs; and working actively with government investigators on behalf of whistleblower clients.
Rachel’s past representations include:
Consumer protection: Rachel represented consumers in the GM Ignition Switch MDL economic loss litigation, which settled for $121 million. She was co-lead class counsel or counsel for the class in consumer financial litigation over “payment protection” products, resulting in more than $50 million in settlements. Rachel has successfully litigated and settled multiple matters on behalf of classes of home mortgage borrowers.
Employment and Civil Rights law: Rachel represented the City of Philadelphia in Fair Housing Act litigation against Wells Fargo that resolved in 2019 with the bank’s funding city programs for communities affected by lending discrimination and agreeing to other relief. She represented employee benefit plans in recovering $65 million from AXA Rosenberg to settle ERISA and other claims, and represented a class of female financial advisors who secured $39 million plus injunctive relief from Bank of America/Merrill Lynch to settle gender discrimination claims.
False Claims Act: Rachel represented the whistleblower in litigation against Abbvie involving the marketing of Humira, where California received $24 million. She helped recoup $78.5 million from the University of Phoenix, one of the largest settlements involving fraud on the Department of Education, and has been lead counsel in off-label marketing matters and matters involving fraud in indigent care pool allocation that resolved favorably.Rachel chairs NELA-NY’s amicus committee and is a frequent writer and speaker on topics in complex litigation. A strong believer in keeping open and knowledgeable about different perspectives and following relevant trends in her subject matter areas, she holds a Society for Human Resources Management Certified Professional credential, and earlier studied fraud examination.
Contact & Links
- 250 Hudson Street, Eighth Floor
New York, NY 10013-1413
- Columbia University School of Law , J.D., graduated 1997
- Harvard University, A.B. (Cum Laude), graduated 1993
- New York, 1998
- American Bar Association - Labor and Employment Law Section, Standing Committee on Equal Employment Opportunity, Member, Past Employee Co-Chair (2009-2011)
- National Employment Lawyers' Association - New York Chapter - Chair of Amicus Committee (2017); Past Board Member (2005-2011)
- National Employment Lawyers' Association - Member
- Public Justice Foundation - Member
- Taxpayers Against Fraud Education Fund - Member
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1999
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2013
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2005
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Employment Law - Individuals, New York City (2019)
- Employment Law - Individuals, New York City (2014)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Employment Law - Individuals
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- “500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers,” Lawdragon, 2021, 2022
- “Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Employment & Civil Rights Lawyers in America,” Lawdragon, 2018-2022
- “Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers in America,” Lawdragon, 2022
- Selected for inclusion by peers in The Best Lawyers in America in field of "Employment Law - Individuals," 2012 - 2022
- "Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers," 2019
- "Lawyer of the Year," Best Lawyers, Employment Law – Individuals, New York City, 2014, 2019
- "Super Lawyer for New York Metro," Super Lawyers, 2011, 2013 - 2018
- Legal 500 recommended lawyer, LegalEase 2013
- "Rising Star for New York Metro," Super Lawyers, 2011
- Distinguished Honor Award, United States Department of State, October 2001
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.