Phong-Chau G. Nguyen
Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP
Recognized since 2023
San Francisco, California
Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Plaintiffs
Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs
Phong-Chau G. Nguyen is a partner in Lieff Cabraser’s San Francisco office specializing in consumer and defective product cases, as well as personal injury/mass tort matters. He is part of the leadership team in the Volkswagen Diesel Emissions multidistrict litigation, which secured an unprecedented $14+ billion in settlements on behalf of U.S. owners and lessees of Volkswagen diesel vehicles, won the California Daily Journal’s “California Lawyer of the Year” award, and secured a finalist position for the 2017 Consumer Attorneys of California “Consumer Attorneys of the Year” award. Phong is also involved in similar work on Lieff Cabraser’s leadership team in the Fiat Chrysler diesel emissions case.
Phong’s other cases include the representation of injured persons nationwide in lawsuits relating to Toyota sudden acceleration accidents, as well as the GM ignition case, where he represents GM vehicle owners and lessees whose cars include defective ignition switches in litigation focusing on economic loss claims. He has also worked on behalf of consumers in the Takata airbag litigation, involving 70 million dangerous and defective airbags found to have been installed in over 40 million vehicles worldwide and which have caused at least 20 deaths and over 280 serious injuries. In November of 2017, an aggregate settlement in the case was announced with Toyota, BMW, Subaru, and Mazda valued at $741 million.
Other cases include the representation of hip implant patients injured by defective and dangerous DePuy artificial hip devices. Phong also litigated personal injury claims in the Medtronic Infuse litigation.
Contact & Links
- 275 Battery Street, 29th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94111
- University of San Francisco, J.D., graduated 2012
- University of California Berkeley, B.A., graduated 2008
- California, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2013
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, 2023
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 2013
28 The Best Lawyers in America® awards
6 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers® in America 2023 for work in:
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Plaintiffs
- Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Selected for inclusion by peers in The Best Lawyers in America in the field of “Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Plaintiffs” and “Product Liability Litigation – Plaintiffs,” 2023
- “Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers in America,” Lawdragon, 2023
- “Rising Star for Northern California,” Super Lawyers, 2018-2022
- “40 and Under Hot List,” Benchmark Litigation, 2018-2022
- “Rising Star for Product Liability Law,” Law360, 2022
- “California Lawyer of the Year,” California Daily Journal, 2018
- “Consumer Attorney of the Year Finalist,” Consumer Attorneys of California, 2017
- “Outstanding Volunteer for Pro Bono Work,” Justice & Diversity Center of the Bar Association of San Francisco, 2015-2017
Additional Areas of Practice:
- Consumer Protection Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.