Philip W. "Phil" Savrin
Recognized since 2007
Litigation - Insurance
Litigation - Municipal
Phil Savrin is a founding member of Freeman Mathis & Gary, LLP, where he serves on its Executive Committee and leads the firm’s Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith National Practice Section. His areas of expertise include commercial insurance coverage issues, litigation of extra-contractual claims, and defense of professional liability claims. In addition, he represents local governments and officials in defending civil rights claims under 42 U.S.C. § 1983.
Mr. Savrin began his legal career as a Staff Attorney for the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, after which he clerked for The Honorable Harold L. Murphy of the Northern District of Georgia, Rome Division, before entering the private practice of law in 1990. He advises clients on matters in all 50 states and regularly appears as counsel in both state and federal courts. He has argued appeals in the federal system including the Fourth, Sixth, Ninth and Eleventh Circuits. He has also argued two cases in the Supreme Court of the United States that involved constitutional principles, in Scott v. Harris, 550 U.S. 372 (2007) and Reed v. Town of Gilbert, 135 S.Ct. 2218 (2015).
Mr. Savrin has testified as an expert on insurance coverage issues and his writings have been cited as authority by the Supreme Court of Georgia in World Harvest Church, Inc. v. GuideOne Mutual Insurance Company, 287 Ga. 149, 695 S.E.2d 6 (2010). He continues to be listed in Best Lawyers in America for both insurance law and municipal liability and has been designated a “Super Lawyer” by Georgia Trend Magazine for several years in a row. He is a regular speaker at continuing education seminars and has written numerous articles on topics that relate to his practice.
His civic involvement has included serving as Chair of the Governmental Liability Committee of the Defense Research Institute, as well as President of the Atlanta Chapter of the Federal Bar Association and as its Eleventh Circuit Liaison. He has also served as general counsel to Temple Kol Emeth in Marietta, Georgia, and as a member of the Metro Atlanta Coalition for the Arts.
Mr. Savrin received his undergraduate degree from Clark University (B.A. in Philosophy, magna cum laude) and his law degree from Boston University (J.D., cum laude). He is married and has two children.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Direct Phone Number: 770-818-1405
- Lawyer Page: https://www.fmglaw.com/attorney_bio.php?id=5
- 100 Galleria Parkway, Suite 1600
Atlanta, GA 30339-5948
- Boston University School of Law, J.D.
- Clark University, B.A.
- Georgia, 1990
- DRI - Defense Research Institute - Member
- Federal Bar Association - Member
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association - Member
- Leadership Cobb - Member
- Leadership DeKalb - Member
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
43 The Best Lawyers in America® awards
22 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America awards
- Insurance Law
- Litigation - Insurance
- Litigation - Municipal
- Bad Faith
- Liability Insurance
- Professional Liability
- Best Lawyers in America's® 2014 to present
- Georgia Super Lawyers 2014 to present
- Municipal Law
- Professional Malpractice Law
- Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.