Recognized since 2003
Phil Small, Co-Practice Leader of the Firm’s Energy, Utilities and Environmental Group, has over 30 years of wide-ranging experience in energy, public utility and environmental law. His energy and public utility law experience includes siting of energy and telecommunications facilities; development, acquisitions, sales and purchases of generating facilities; engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contracts; interconnection, equipment sales, and O&M agreements; wholesale and retail energy purchase and sales agreements; major commercial energy transactions, administrative and appellate litigation and utility ratemaking. His environmental law experience includes air, hazardous waste, water litigation, enforcement, permitting and siting.
Phil represents electric, gas and other utilities, unregulated utility subsidiaries, project developers, power plant owners, exempt wholesale generators, natural gas pipelines, equipment manufacturers and vendors, retail utility customers, and transportation and manufacturing companies. He represents these entities in a variety of federal and state energy regulatory, administrative litigation and commercial matters, and in environmental counseling, litigation and enforcement matters.
Prior to joining Brown Rudnick in 2000, Phil was Assistant General Counsel for Northeast Utilities, where he was the primary attorney responsible for all environmental law matters and for significant public utility regulatory matters.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: http://www.brownrudnick.com/people/philip-m-small/
- 185 Asylum Street
Hartford, CT 06103
- George Washington University, MA Economics, graduated 1979
- George Washington University Law School , JD, graduated 1978
- University of Pennsylvania , BA Economics& Pol. Sci., graduated 1975
- Connecticut Bar Association
- The District of Columbia Bar
- American Bar Association (Sections of Environmental, Energy and Resources; and Public Utility, Communications and Transportation Law) - Member
- Energy Bar Association - Member
- Public Utility Section of the Connecticut Bar Association for 2004 – 2006 and Member, Environmental Section - Chair
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Energy Law
- Environmental Law
- Clean Water Act
- Environmental Permitting
- Land Use and Zoning
- Project Development
- Public Utility
- Listed in Woodward/White Inc.'s The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Environmental Law (2003-2015) and Energy Law (2006-2015)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.