Recognized since 2008
St. Louis, Missouri
Litigation - Health Care
Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants
Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
Philip L. Willman devotes his trial practice to defending physicians, medical schools, nurses, hospitals, nursing homes, psychologists and other healthcare providers in medical negligence and healthcare lawsuits and medical device manufactures in medical device litigation. He also provides representation to defendants in environmental litigation.
Mr. Willman obtained his Bachelor's degree, magna cum laude, from Duke University in 1975 and his Juris Doctor degree from Vanderbilt University in 1978. From 1978 to 1979, he was a Research Fellow in Environmental Law at the University of Illinois College of Law. From 1979 to 1984, he served as an Assistant Attorney General in the Environmental Control Division for the Illinois Attorney General, handling numerous trials and administrative proceedings involving civil and criminal environmental prosecution to conclusion.
Over the years, Mr. Willman has focused on professional liability defense and risk management for healthcare providers and medical device manufacturers. He has tried more than 100 cases to a conclusion as lead counsel in jury trials in state and federal court, in both Missouri and Illinois. He has also provided representation in environmental lawsuits. He has written and lectured on various topics related to risk management and medical professional liability. He has provided lectures for Washington University, Saint Louis University, St. Luke's Hospital, The Medical Protective, Medical Assurance, ProAssurance, PIC-Wisconsin and Ophthalmic Mutual Insurance Company.
Mr. Willman has been active in professional organizations, dedicated to the support and improvement of the civil justice system. He has been a director for the Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers and Missouri State Representative for DRI. He has also been active in the education of the defense bar and its clients. He has been program co-chair for the DRI Complex Medicine Seminar and program chair for the DRI Medical Liability Seminar. He also served as the chair and vice-chair of the Medical Liability & Health Care Law Committee from 2007-2011. He served as the DRI mid-region director from 2013-2016. In 2016, he was elected second vice president of DRI and will become president in 2019.
Contact & Links
- Bank of America Plaza, Suite 1100
800 Market Street
St. Louis, MO 63101-2501
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Missouri, United States District Court of the Eastern District of Missouri
- Illinois, United States District Court of the Southern District of Illinois
- Illinois, United States District Court of the Northern District of Illinois
- Defense Research Institute - Chair, Medical Liability Committee; State Representative, Missouri; Mid-Region Director; Second Vice President
- American Bar Association - Member
- American Health Lawyers Association - Member
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis - Member
- Illinois State Bar Association - Member
- Missouri Bar Association - Member
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers - Past Director and Board Member
- Missouri Society of Health Care Attorneys - Member
- National Foundation for Judicial Excellence - Director, Board of Directors
- St. Louis Association of Health Care Risk Managers - President
- St. Louis Priory Alumni Association - Past President
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants, St. Louis (2022)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Litigation - Health Care
- Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Birth Trauma
- Brain Injury
- Catastrophic Injury
- Medical Devices
- Medical Negligence
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Best Lawyers - Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants, The Best Lawyers in America (2008-2018)
- Super Lawyers - Personal Injury Defense: Medical Malpractice, Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers (2010-2016)
- St. Louis' Best Lawyers - Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants, St. Louis Magazine (2008-2013)
- Awarded a Top Defense Verdict in the State of Missouri, Missouri Lawyers Weekly (2008)
Noldon v. Saint Louis UniversityPlaintiff brought suit in St. Louis CIty Circuit Court against a University obstetrician, alleging her child suffered brain injury and cerebal palsy due to a delay in vaginal delivery. Plaintiff sought more thatn $17 million in damages. The jury returned a defense verdict.
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.