Recognized since 2003
Administrative / Regulatory Law
Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Peter T. Cahoon received a Bachelor of Arts degree from New York University in 1974, and his law degree from the University of Akron School of Law in 1977, where he was a member of the law school’s Trial Competition Team.For more than 42 years, he has practiced family law, and in the areas of criminal defense, including federal and state cases, and representing individuals and businesses in government investigations, and representing licensed professionals, such as physicians and attorneys, in disciplinary investigations and proceedings.Mr. Cahoon has tried numerous jury and bench trials and other contested hearings throughout northeast Ohio and is a past President (2004 – 2005) of the Akron Bar Associations Certified Grievance and Criminal Law Committees and Family Law Section. He is a Fellow of the American Board of Criminal Lawyers, and an Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy at the University of Akron School of Law.Mr. Cahoon has been listed in the Best Lawyers in America in the practice areas of Family Law, White Collar Criminal Defense, and Administrative and Regulatory Law. He has also been selected by his peers as an Ohio Super Lawyer in White Collar Criminal Defense.Past Co-Chair of the Firm’s Litigation Practice Group (2002-2005).
- Represented clients in trials and appeals of civil, domestic relations, and criminal matters in Summit, Stark, Portage, Cuyahoga, Tuscarawas, Wayne, Mahoning, Huron and Franklin counties.
- Tried approximately seventy-five cases to juries, primarily felony matters, including three capital murder trials.
- Criminal cases he has defended include matters in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, Eastern Division, and these have included “white-collar” matters such as bank fraud, insurance fraud, R.I.C.O. matters, and federal tax and health care investigations and litigation.
- Former member of the United States District Court Criminal Justice Act Panel.
- Certified since 1996 as a Criminal Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy.
- Represented clients as appellate attorney in more than one hundred cases in lower appellate courts (primarily the Ninth Judicial District) and in the Supreme Court of Ohio.
- Represented the Akron Bar Association and local attorneys before the Supreme Court of Ohio’s Board of Commissioners on Grievance and Discipline and the Supreme Court of Ohio.
- Currently practices in the areas of criminal defense, “white collar” criminal investigations, domestic relations and juvenile matters, and represents attorneys, physicians, nurses, pharmacists and other licensed professionals in disciplinary matters.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://
- 200 Market Avenue North, Suite 300
Canton, OH 44702
- New York University, BA, graduated 1974
- Ohio, Ohio State Bar Association
- Akron Bar Association - Member (President, 2004 – 2005; Treasurer, 1991-1993; Chairman of Grievance Committee, 1988-1989; Chairman of Investigative Sub-Committee, 1987-1988; Chairman of Criminal Law Committee, 1983-1984; Member of Executive Board, 1991-1993)
- Akron Bar Association Foundation - Fellow since 1990; Member, Board of Governors, 1997-2005, and 2008-present
- American Bar Association - Member
- Ohio State Bar Association - Member (Elected Member, Council of Delegates, 2005-2006, 2007-2008 and 2009-2010 terms)
- Scanlon/Bell Inn of Court - Member and Bencher (senior member)
- The University of Akron School of Law (1993 - present) - Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Family Law, Akron (2024)
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar, Akron (2023)
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar, Akron (2020)
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar, Akron (2018)
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar, Akron (2016)
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar, Akron (2013)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2024 for work in:
- Administrative / Regulatory Law
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Family Law
- White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Recognized by Inside Business Magazine since 2001 as a Leading Lawyer in Criminal Defense in Northeast Ohio, as voted by his peers.
- Recognized in the 2009 – 2010 Corporate Counsel Editions and the 2011 Business Edition of Super Lawyers® for Criminal Defense: White Collar.
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™, which is the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards as established by confidential opinions from members of the Bar.
- Named to the Best Lawyers® 'Lawyer of the Year' in the Akron area for Criminal Defense: White Collar 2016-2020
- Named to Ohio's Super Lawyers Top 100 List (2016-2019)
- Named to Ohio's Super Lawyers® Top 50 Cleveland Lawyers List 2016-2020
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2003 – 2020). Currently listed for the practice areas of Administrative/Regulatory Law and White-Collar Criminal Defense.
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio’s Super Lawyers® (2004 – 2020), as voted by his peers.
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.