Mr. Reardon joined NST in January 2020, before which he was a partner and the former Chair of the Litigation Group in the Vancouver office of a national law firm and Co-Chair of the firm’s Restructuring and Insolvency Group. Mr. Reardon specializes in insolvency and restructuring law and has extensive experience in commercial matters, banking litigation, conflicts of law, administrative and constitutional law.
Mr. Reardon was named Lawyer of Year by Best Lawyers in Canada for Insolvency and Financial Restructuring for 2014 and 2020, and has been recognized as a leader in Insolvency and Restructuring Law by Best Lawyers in Canada, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and Who’s Who Legal, Canada. Mr. Reardon is a member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada.
Mr. Reardon has represented clients at all levels of courts including appellate litigation in the British Columbia Court of Appeal, the Federal Court of Canada, Appeal Division and the Supreme Court of Canada. He has also appeared in the Supreme Court of Yukon.
Mr. Reardon has represented receivers, trustees, secured creditors and debtors in a number of bankruptcies, receiverships and reorganizations. National brokerage firms in securities disputes, a national franchisor in franchise disputes, and landlords in lease disputes have also sought Mr. Reardon’s counsel. He has also represented numerous corporations in arrangement proceedings under the BC Business Corporations Act and the Canada Business Corporations Act.
Mr. Reardon has acted for secured and unsecured creditors, debtors, creditor committees, court-appointed monitors, Debtor-In-Possession (DIP) Lenders, receivers, acquirers of assets in insolvency situations and other related parties in many insolvency proceedings in British Columbia. His work has also included representing multiple financial institutions and other secured lenders in debt realization proceedings, particularly in mortgage foreclosure proceedings and personal property security realization. Specific examples of Peter's recent representative work on behalf of his clients include:
- Acted for KPMG Inc. as Monitor of Walter Energy Canada Holdings Inc. and related entities in proceedings under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA).
- Acts for the two largest unsecured creditors in the All Canadian Investment Corporation CCAA proceeding.
- Was appointed Amicus Curiae by the Court in the CCAA proceeding of 0891775 B.C. Ltd. (formerly Harvest Fraser Richmond Organics Ltd.).
- Acted for the secured lender in foreclosure proceedings relating to the Sagebrush Golf Club.
- Acts for The Bowra Group Inc., receiver of Canadian Integrated Agriculture Inc.
- Acts for a major supplier of services in the 8640025 Canada Inc, (formerly Teliphone Navigata-Westel Communications Ltd,) CCAA proceeding.
- Acted for Ernst & Young Inc. in the bankruptcy and proposal proceeding of Marine Drive Properties Ltd.
- Acted for Great Basin Gold Ltd., the debtor company, in a CCAA proceeding.
- Acted for JP Morgan, the major lender and DIP Lender in the CCAA proceeding brought by Catalyst Paper.
- Acted for major secured creditor in Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA) proceeding relating to "The Rise" development in Vernon, B.C.
- Acted for Clearly Canadian Beverage Corp. in successful restructuring under proposal provisions of Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act.
- Acted for Deloitte & Touche Inc., monitor of Evergreen Gaming Corporation in CCAA proceeding
- Acted for Sphere Resources Inc. in successfully defending a bankruptcy petition in the Supreme Court Yukon.
- Acted for debtor companies in CCAA proceedings by The Cascades Residence Inc. and by Cross Lake Minerals Ltd.
- Acted for the Trustee of Unsecured Noteholders in reorganization of Ainsworth Lumber.
- Acted for Teck Cominco Limited (Teck) when it completed the acquisition of Global Copper Corp. by way of a plan of arrangement for aggregate proceeds of approximately $415 million payable in cash and Class B subordinate voting shares of Teck.
- Acted for Sierra Systems Group Inc. when acquired by Golden Gate Capital.Acted for Glamis Gold in its Plan of Arrangement with Goldcorp Inc.
- Acted for Inex Pharmaceuticals Corporation in successfully opposing two bankruptcy petitions and receiving approval of a Plan of Arrangement under the Business Corporations Act.
- Acted for one of two secured creditors of New Skeena Forest Products in CCAA, receivership and bankruptcy proceeding.Acted for secured creditor in Pine Valley Mining CCAA proceeding
Publications and presentations
- Panelist for the 17th Annual Review of Insolvency Law, February 2020 (“How Many Ways Can You Slice a Pie? A Look Into Professional Fees and Who is Entitled to a Charge”).
- Panelist for the 16th Annual Review of Insolvency Law, February 2019 (“UFCW v. Rose of Sharon: Do Receivers Have a Duty to Bargain”)
- Panelist at the CBA Pan-Canadian Insolvency and Restructuring Law Conferences in Halifax (2012), Calgary (2013) and Quebec City (2014)
- Assigning Contracts in Canadian Insolvency Proceedings: Restructuring and Insolvency Bulletin (July 2014)
- Training course of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Lecturer: BC Branch of the CBA Insolvency Subsection
- Lecturer: McMillan in-house seminar series (various)