Recognized since 2018
New Orleans, Louisiana
Peter J. Butler, Jr. is a partner in the New Orleans office where he principally practices Commercial Litigation. He has extensive experience in all aspects of Commercial Litigation including trial, appellate work and opposing or compelling arbitration. Mr. Butler also has extensive experience in representing governmental officials and officers in connection with navigating the intricacies of the Louisiana Code of Governmental Ethics, including representing such officers and officials before the Louisiana Board of Governmental Ethics. He has also represented clients in various business related transactions including contracts and leases, formations of entities, the purchase and sale of assets of those entities, and the transfer of ownership interests to and from existing or new owners.
Since 1989, Mr. Butler has accumulated extensive trial experience and has practiced in the various federal district, state district, and state appellate courts throughout the State of Louisiana and various federal district courts throughout the South. Mr. Butler has primarily handled complex commercial litigation, including
- antitrust litigation (both health care and non-health care);
- banking (federal and state) litigation;
- commercial and corporate litigation;
- construction litigation;
- environmental litigation;
- governmental charters and governmental budgetary litigation;
- health care regulatory matters, including advice and litigation;
- intellectual property litigation;
- mergers and acquisitions and hostile takeovers;
- oil and gas litigation;
- qui tam and false claims act litigation;
- shareholders (and other owners) derivative litigation;
- securities and securities fraud litigation;
- state and federal income and estate tax litigation disputes;
- unfair trade practices and anti-competitive claims; and
- various torts and breaches of contract matters.
All of the foregoing litigation involved intensive discovery, sophisticated motion practice, writ application practice, and presentation of trials.
Mr. Butler has particularly extensive experience in litigating the dissolution of business ventures, including partnerships, limited liability companies and closely-held corporations, as well as disputes among such businesses' owners and between such businesses themselves and one or more of its owners. Mr. Butler also has extensive experience in litigating breaches of fiduciary duty.
Mr. Butler is a Certified Public Accountant.
Upon graduation from Tulane University Law School in 1987, Mr. Butler clerked for the Honorable Fredrick J.R. Heebe, Chief Judge, United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, from 1987-1989. Mr. Butler has been AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell since his first year of eligibility to receive any rating in 1996. Mr. Butler is a native of New Orleans.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: http://www.bswllp.com/peter-j-butler-jr
- First Bank & Trust Tower, Suite 1500
909 Poydras Street
New Orleans, LA 70112-4004
- Tulane University , J.D., graduated 1987
- Tulane University, B.S.M. (Accounting), graduated 1984
- Louisiana, 1987
- American Bar Association - Member
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants - Member
- Federal Bar Association - Member
- Louisiana Society of Certified Public Accountants - Member
- Louisiana State Bar Association - Member
- National Association of Bond Lawyers - Member
- Louisiana State Courts
- Eastern District of Louisiana
- Middle District of Louisiana
- Western District of Louisiana
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Appellate Practice
- New Orleans City Business Leadership in Law Class of 2013
- Listed in Louisiana Super Lawyers in the area of Business Litigation
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018, 2019
- Named "Top Lawyers of New Orleans" by New Orleans Magazine 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.