As a pilot and internationally recognised aviation lawyer, Peter’s practice includes:
- defending aviation cases for insurers on behalf of: manufacturers; aircraft owners and pilots; airlines and aircraft operators; aircraft maintenance facilities and LAMEs; aerial applicators; and airports
- acting for aircraft operators in inquests and inquiries
- providing coverage advice to aviation insurers
- pursuing subrogation and recovery actions for aviation insurers
- acting for aviation businesses in commercial transactions including the purchase, sale and leasing of aircraft.
Admitted to practice in the US and Australia but resident in Australia since 2001, Peter has acted here in numerous cases arising from aircraft accidents and aerial application. He has also assisted clients during inquests arising from aircraft accidents. In the US, he appeared in more than 100 jury and court trials arising from aviation incidents, was an adjunct professor in aviation law at the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and an arbitrator for the San Francisco and Marin County judicial arbitration programs. He remains on the Legal Advisory Council of the Experimental Aircraft Association in the United States.
Peter has published significant papers and is a regular speaker and trainer for the Australian Insurance Law Association and the College of Law in Sydney. He is a member of the Queensland Law Society, Australian Insurance Law Association, Aviation Law Association of Australia and New Zealand, State Bar of California, Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association, American Board of Trial Advocates and the International Society of Air Safety Investigators.
Peter has been recognised in The Australian Financial Review’s “Best Lawyers in Australia” guide each year since 2011. In the 2018 edition of Best Lawyers Peter was named Lawyer of the Year for Aviation Law.
Peter is an instrument rated pilot with ratings for fixed wing aircraft and helicopters.