Recognized since 2018
New York, New York
Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Plaintiffs
With 20 years of experience, Paulina do Amaral is a partner in Lieff Cabraser’s New York office and a senior member of the firm’s Mass Tort and Injury Practice Team. Paulina represents individuals, groups and classes in complex, multi-party litigation in state and federal courts and in multidistrict litigation throughout the U.S. Paulina’s current work includes representation of government entities in one of the largest pieces of civil litigation in history, In re: National Prescription Opiate Litigation, in which she serves as a leader of the Law and Briefing Committee and on the Expert Oversight Committee.
Paulina has dedicated her career to achieving justice for individuals injured by dangerous and defective products and other corporate wrongdoing against some of the largest corporations in the world. With vast specific experience in the area of pharmaceutical litigation, Paulina has represented thousands of individuals, successfully recovering millions of dollars on their behalf, in cases involving drugs such as Actos, Zofran, Baycol, Rezulin, and Fen-Phen, and other health products such as talc products, defective surgical mesh, and an infant food thickener given to premature infants who were either killed or suffered lifelong harm. Paulina also served on the bellwether trial team in the Yaz and Yasmin birth control drug injuries case that was weeks from trial when the entire litigation settled.
In addition to her pharmaceutical and health product experience, Paulina’s past work includes environmental and 9/11 injury litigation. Working on behalf of more than 500 individuals in Eastern Kentucky, she successfully resolved claims arising from an October 2000 coal sludge disaster. Paulina also served as lead pro bono counsel on behalf of seven victims and their decedents in hearings before the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund arising out of the 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City. The combined awards obtained were in excess of $5 million.
In 2019, Paulina was named to the Board of Trustees of the UC College of the Law, San Francisco.
- 250 Hudson Street, Eighth Floor
New York, NY 10013-1413
- University of California Hastings College of the Law, J.D., graduated 1996
- University of Rochester, B.A., graduated 1988
- California, The State Bar of California, 1998
- New York, New York State Bar Association, 1997
- American Association for Justice - Member
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York - Committee on the Judiciary (2007 – 2010)
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- State Bar of California - Member
- UC College of the Law, San Francisco - Board of Trustees
- Women En Mass - Member
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 2020
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York, 2008
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2004
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Plaintiffs
- Selected for inclusion by peers in The Best Lawyers in America in the field of “Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Plaintiffs,” 2017-2024
- "Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers," 2019-2023
- Legal 500 recommended lawyer, LegalEase, 2013
- Environmental Law
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.