Paula K. Manis
Recognized since 2008
Oil and Gas Law
For over 30 years, Paula K. Manis, has successfully and continuously maintained a diverse oil and gas practice. Starting out as a field landman for Amoco in Michigan, Ms. Manis has worked within and on the side of the oil and gas industry her entire legal career.
Licensed to practice law in Michigan, Ohio and Illinois, Ms. Manis counsels multiple major and independent oil and gas companies on a daily basis, in all aspects of oil and gas matters, from upstream to downstream. She is experienced in pulling together sophisticated joint ventures and drilling programs, negotiating and drafting purchase and sale contracts, exploration agreements, JOAs and other industry-related contracts. She has extensive experience in acquisitions and divestures, including negotiating and drafting letters of intent and buy-sell agreements, as well as working closely with clients through the entire due diligence process.
She is thorough and efficient at researching, drafting and reviewing title opinions, thus protecting her clients from developing or investing in wells, or projects with uncommitted interests, and preventing future lawsuits caused by careless or non-existent title work. Over the course of her long career, Ms. Manis has rendered more than a thousand acquisitions, drilling, division order, and financing transaction title opinions.
Being part of the Loomis team allows Ms. Manis to work closely with other members of the Oil and Gas Group and other practice groups within the Firm so that her clients receive not only quality, industry-specific representation but, if needed, representation in other areas, such as regulatory matters, environmental, securities, and taxation.
Having experienced the cyclical nature of the industry, Ms. Manis understands and appreciates the many and complex challenges that face her clients, and brings a common-sense, business approach to the legal services she provides. Always mindful of the "big picture", she strives to provide her clients with practical, comprehensive legal services at a competitive rate. She credits this approach for her success in establishing long-term relationships with several industry clients in the Mid-West Region.
Ms. Manis is also experienced in alternative dispute resolution, serving as both a mediator/facilitator and arbitrator for over 13 years. She has given several presentations on mediation matters. She has conducted approximately 1,500 mediations in Michigan and New York involving all types of civil matters including, but not limited to: oil and gas related matters, federal crop insurance matters, medical malpractice, legal malpractice, no-fault, probate matters, discrimination and has served on arbitration panels in Michigan and New York.
- Lawyer Page: https://loomislaw.com/attorneys/paula-k-manis
- 124 West Allegan Street, Suite 700
Lansing, MI 48933
- Western Michigan University, Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., graduated 1979
- Michigan State University, BA, graduated 1973
- Michigan, State Bar of Michigan
- Michigan, Ingham County Bar Association
- Illinois, Illinois State Bar
- Ohio, Ohio State Bar
- Attorney Discipline Board - Hearing panelist
- Dispute Resolution Center of Central Michigan - Former Board Member
- Ingham County Bar Association - Member of Real Property Section
- Ingham County Bar Association - Member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Michigan Association of Professional Landmen - Member
- Michigan Oil & Gas Association - Former Chair of Legislative Liaison Committee
- Michigan Oil & Gas Association - Member of Legal and Legislative Committee
- Michigan Oil & Gas Association - Member of the former Public Relations Committee
- National Center for Dispute Settlement - Panel Member
- State of Michigan Bar Association - Former Chair of Oil, Gas and Natural Resources Committee of the Real Property Section
- State of Michigan Bar Association - Former Chair of the ADR Counsel Government Task Force subcommittee
- State of Michigan Bar Association - Former Member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Council
- State of Michigan Bar Association - Member of the Alternate Dispute Resolution Section
6 The Best Lawyers in America® awards
- Mediation, Lansing (2022)
- Oil and Gas Law, Lansing (2021)
- Mediation, Lansing (2020)
- Mediation, Lansing (2017)
- Arbitration, Lansing (2016)
- Mediation, Lansing (2014)
- Arbitration, Lansing (2012)
- Oil and Gas Law
- The Best Lawyers in America Award for Arbitration, Mediation and Oil and Gas Law--2015
- The Best Lawyers in America Award for Oil and Gas and Alternative Dispute Resolution--2014
- Lawyer of the Year for Mediation in the Lansing Area by The Best Lawyers--2014
- Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers by LexisNexis/Martindale-Hubbell--2013
- The Best Lawyers in America Award for Oil and Gas and Alternative Dispute Resolution--2013
- Lawyer of the Year for Arbitration in the Lansing Area by the Best Lawyers--2012
- The Best Lawyers in America Award for Oil and Gas and Alternative Dispute Resolution--2012
- Top Lawyers by the American Lawyer--2011
- The Best Lawyers in America Award for Oil and Gas and Alternative Dispute Resolution--2011
- The Best Lawyers in America Award for Oil and Gas and Alternative Dispute Resolution--2010
- The Best Lawyers in America Award for Oil and Gas and Alternative Dispute Resolution--2009
- The Best Lawyers in America Award for Oil and Gas--2008
- Mediator of the Year Award-Dispute Resolution Center of Central Michigan--2002
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.