Paul is one of Maine’s go-to trial lawyers for difficult and bet-the-company litigation. Paul provides a unique and effective one-two punch for clients facing the prospect of litigation: combining a deep understanding of how the business world functions with ability to more clearly see the litigation playing field and, therefore, devise and implement winning strategies. As Chambers USA put it in its 2017 Edition of America’s Leading Business Lawyers, “Clients describe him as ‘an excellent trial lawyer’ and peers praise his thoroughness: ‘He leaves no stone unturned and takes pride in his work product.’” Paul serves as General Counsel to Bernstein Shur. For many years, Paul was the Chair of Bernstein Shur’s Litigation Practice Group.
Paul is known for being able to quickly master the nuances of complex subject areas and handle any type of litigation. His areas of practice concentration include:
- Corporate and Partnership Litigation, including claims involving corporate governance, corporate dissolution, shareholder/partner oppression and freeze out, and fiduciary duty issues.
- Securities Litigation under the anti-fraud provisions of state and federal securities laws.
- Appeals of state and federal procurement contract awards.
- IP Litigation, including preliminary injunctions and accompanying litigation involving claims of trademark, trade dress, copyright infringement, trade secrets, as well as patent infringement.
- Wireless Telecommunications Facility Siting Litigation, representing telecommunications facility providers as well as municipalities in cell tower siting litigation under the Federal Telecommunications Act.
- “Top Hat” Deferred Compensation Plan Litigation in Chapter 11 Proceedings, representing plan participants in recovering their account balances from their employers’ bankruptcy estate and claims of the company’s bankruptcy creditors.