Recognized since 2014
Paul specialises in contract, property, infrastructure, maritime and commercial transaction law with particular emphasis on ports and harbours, maritime and sea trade ventures, shipping, port and waterfront asset sales and acquisitions, transport industry due diligence, port operational risk management, major port development and infrastructure projects, complex terminal management, operating and leasing transactions, contract drafting, negotiations and statutory interpretation.
Paul also has extensive experience working with onshore and offshore logistics agreements, road and rail operations, rail infrastructure projects, warehousing agreements, stevedoring, towage, pilotage, bulk handling, bunkering, fuel supply and storage arrangements.
Paul has handled over 2000 port, shipping, logistics, rail and related matters covering a wide range of corporate, commercial and operational issues across all states of Australia. His experience also includes structuring, negotiating and advising on some of the largest and most complex port, logistics and intermodal infrastructure contracts that have been entered into in Australia in recent years.
Relevant experience includes:
- Lead adviser to the Dampier Port Authority and negotiated on its behalf in relation to all aspects of the Chevron operated and Wheatstone Joint Venture funded greenfield port development and operating contracts at Ashburton North involving the construction and transfer of $4 billion worth of open access common user LNG export related infrastructure with port terminal concessions back to the proponent.
- Lead adviser to the Broome Port Authority and negotiated on its behalf in relation to all aspects of the proposed Woodside and BP funded greenfield port development at James Price Point involving the proposed construction and transfer of $3 billion worth of common user port infrastructure with exclusive LNG terminal and export related infrastructure concessions.
- Lead adviser to Toll Holdings and other successful parties in their bids and associated contracts for the major port, tug, barge, roro and marine supply base logistics contracts to support of the $50 billion Gorgon gas project. These contracts are amongst the largest and most complex marine supply base and logistics contracts ever entered into in Australia.
- Lead adviser to the VICTL consortium (ICTSI and Anglo Ports) in its successful bid to build, own and operate the third international container terminal and associated empty container park at Webb Dock in the Port of Melbourne.
- Lead adviser to Polaris Metals in relation to its mine to ship infrastructure, rail and shipping services agreement with the Mineral Resources and Brockman Mining Marillana Joint Venture concerning the construction and operation of over 300kms of elevated rail and a new iron ore export terminal at Port Hedland within an open access structure.
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Transportation Law, Perth, Australia (2022)
- Transportation Law, Perth, Australia (2019)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Australia™ 2023 for work in:
- Commercial Law
- Corporate Law
- Transportation Law
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2016-2017) as one of Australia's leading transport industry lawyers.
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.