Paul has a broad civil litigation practice at both the trial and appellate levels. He has experience in many areas, including corporate commercial litigation, director and officer liability, insolvency litigation, securities litigation, class actions and public law litigation. He has acted for a wide range of clients, including individuals, small and medium sized businesses, large publicly traded companies, not-for-profit organizations and various levels of government.
- Acted on several matters before the Supreme Court of Canada, including one of the country’s leading equality rights cases (R v Kapp) and the leading case in Canada on environmental claims within the context of insolvency proceedings (Re AbitibiBowater).
- Acted for a sitting Prime Minister of Canada and, in a separate proceeding, a former Prime Minister of Canada.
- Represented parties in securities class actions, including defending a former officer against claims asserted in a Canada-wide class action alleging misrepresentations in public disclosure documents made by SNC-Lavalin.
- Acted on various matters arising out of the affairs of the Hollinger newspaper group.
- Acted for a number of former directors and officers in connection with environmental liability claims made against them arising out of the liquidation of Northstar Aerospace.
Paul is an elected member of the Executive of both the Ontario Bar Association’s Civil Litigation Section and its Class Actions Section. He also currently serves as Secretary to Commercial Litigation Practice Group of The Advocates’ Society.
Paul maintains an active pro bono component to his practice and he has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario and various administrative tribunals in a pro bono capacity on behalf of individuals and organizations, such as the Canadian Civil Liberties Association.
Paul is a member of:
- The Advocates’ Society
- Canadian Bar Association