Paul has been recognized by his peers as a forceful and ethical advocate. Some recent examples of this recognition include:
- New England Super Lawyers lists Paul as one of the Top 100 Attorneys in the six-state Northeast region, based on ratings and evaluation by attorneys and judges.
- Connecticut Super Lawyers lists Paul as one of the Top 50 Super Lawyers in the State, again based on peer ratings.
- The Connecticut Law Tribune profiled Paul as one of the Dozen Connecticut Attorneys Who Made A Difference in 2011.
- Paul is listed in the national edition of The Best Lawyers in America, the oldest peer review publication in the legal profession.
- Martindale-Hubbell has rated Paul as "AV Preeminent," the highest available rating of legal ability and ethical standards, based entirely on peer reviews by attorneys and judges familiar with his work.
- Connecticut Magazine, Connecticut Super Lawyers and New England Super Lawyers have listed Paul as a Connecticut and New England Super Lawyer every year the lists have been published, starting in 2006.
- The National Trial Lawyers (formerly the American Trial Lawyers Association) has listed Paul as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Connecticut since 2008.