Recognized since 2007
Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
Patricia S. Cain advises employers on a broad range of employee benefit matters, including counseling employers on the design, implementation and administration of broad-based pension and health care plans and executive compensation arrangements. She represents employers in ruling requests and controversies before the Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor and Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. She also represents employers and benefit plans in disputes arising under benefit plans, both in the administrative claims process and in federal court.
Patty’s representation of employers includes the following:
- Preparing or reviewing plan documents and participant communications for alignment with employer’s objectives and legal compliance;
- Educating employees who are fiduciaries on their responsibilities with respect to benefit plans;
- Advising employers on proposed changes to benefit plans to meet the employer’s objectives; and
- Assessing costs and risks associated with benefit plans in connection with buying or selling a business.
Patty also represents executives in negotiating employment agreements and severance arrangements, including negotiating equity participation and other benefits following an acquisition of the executive’s employer.
Patty uses her professional knowledge as a member of the board of directors of Lutheran Social Services of Illinois, a not-for-profit social service agency. In addition to being a board member, Patty chairs the Retirement Plans Committee.
Patty has been recognized as a leader in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (recommended in “Labor & Employment: Benefits & Compensation”) since 2008. Patty has been included in The Legal 500 United States 2014 and 2015 editorial (recommended in Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation). In 2014, Patty was selected as a Top 10 Employee Benefits Lawyer in Illinois by Leading Lawyers, and has been listed as an Illinois Super Lawyer since 2005. Patty was also presented with the “2016 Women of Influence Award” by Chicago Business Journal.
While in law school, Patty was a member and executive editor of the Northwestern Law Review and a member of the Order of the Coif.
- Two North LaSalle Street, Suite 1700
Chicago, IL 60602
- Northwestern University , J.D., graduated 1977
- Georgetown University, AB, graduated 1974
- Illinois, Illinois State Bar Association
- New York, New York State Bar Association
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, Chicago (2021)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Executive Compensation
- Pension, Health and Welfare
"I retired as Associate General Counsel of Unitrin, Inc. at the end of 2010. For a good number of years during my tenure with Unitrin, I dealt with Patricia S. Cain in employee benefit matters. Her level of experience was second to none, she was consistently responsive in a timely manner, and her personality was such that she easily worked with others in our organization outside the legal area. She has the gift of clear, concise communications, and is a credit to her profession. I will miss her counsel and my association with her."
- Samuel L. Fitzpatrick (Kemper Corporation), Chicago, IL
"Patty is well-versed in employee benefit and executive compensation matters. She is the most responsive attorney I have ever dealt with."
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.