Pamela Cross is a tax partner in the Ottawa office of BLG and representative of the firm’s Partnership Board. Her practice encompasses taxation, and estate and trust planning, as well as tax dispute resolution and voluntary disclosures of unpaid taxes. She regularly advises high net worth families on successful wealth transition and philanthropic strategies. She advices tax-exempt organizations (including charities, not-for-profit organizations and municipal corporations) on tax implications of their transactions and activities. Pamela also provides tax advice in connection with employee compensation matters and has a subspecialty in the taxation of pension and other tax exempt registered plans (RRSPs/RRIFs, TFSAs, RESPs, PRPPS and RDSPs). She has qualified as an expert before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and has provided expert testimony with respect to tax matters. She is a frequent writer and speaker on taxation issues, is the Deputy Chair, STEP Canada and Co-Chair, STEP Canada's Public Policy Committee, is recognized by The Best Lawyers in Canada, 2018 Lawyer of the Year (Trusts and Estates, Ottawa) and is an Academician of The International Academy of Estate and Trust Law.
Her representative work is varied and complex. Recent files on which she has advised include:
- Advised large Canadian pension master trust with respect to equity investments in the United States and the European Union
- Structured several unique stock based and employee compensation plans for Canadian and international clients.
- Negotiated a tax settlement with the Canada Revenue Agency with respect to offshore assets, including assets located in former Eastern European country which were held by the foreign government until the fall of the Iron Curtain.
- Regularly advises high net worth private clients with international interests or complex issues on appropriate estate, tax and trust planning, including drafting of wills, trusts and other ancillary documents.
- Represented a corporate trustee in connection with post-mortem estate and corporate planning for complex shareholder in several Canadian and foreign holdings.
- Negotiated favourable advance tax ruling in connection with establishment of provincially funded deferred compensation plan in the health sector.