Partner of Carey and co-head of the Labor and Immigration Group and co-head of the Construction and Engineering Group. His practice includes litigation and arbitration, contracts, and general civil practice. His labor and immigration practice includes collective bargaining, union matters, unfair labor practices, compensation and benefits, discrimination and general violations of employee fundamental rights, employment termination, work related illnesses and accidents, labor related litigation of all types, as well as work permits and visas for foreign personnel. In the construction and engineering practice, Mr. Aitken has vast experience in contracts for all phases of engineering work, as well as in all forms of construction and infrastructures related contracts including Design Built, EPC, EPCM and BOT. His practice ranges from experience with early stages of project development to bidding (including public concessions and PPP project), negotiation and preparation of contract documents, claims management and dispute resolution. Mr. Aitken also has experience in real estate and has been involved in a variety of projects from development of natural conservation parks to housing projects, office and apartment buildings, hotels, industrial developments, etc.
Activities and Memberships
- Professor of the Degree in Corporate Governance and Compliance, Law School, Universidad del Desarrollo (since 2018).
- Professor of Specialization in Construction Law, Law School, Universidad de los Andes (since 2015).
- Vice co-chair and co-chair of the Dispute Resolution Sub-Committee and International Construction Projects Practice Group, International Bar Association (2010-2014).
- Arbitrator of the Arbitration and Mediation Center, Santiago Chamber of Commerce.Founding fellow and past board member, International Academy of Construction Lawyers (IACL).Founding fellow and president, Chilean Society of Construction Law.Member of the Chilean Bar Association.
- Member and past board member, Centro de Estudios de Derecho del Trabajo (CEDET).
- Member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).
- Carey's representative at Employment Law Alliance (ELA).
- Assistant Professor of Labor Law, Universidad de Chile (1990-1999).
- Co-author of Chilean chapter, Outsourcing Book, Getting the Deal Through (2013-2015).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter of Construction and Projects Q&As Global Guide, Thomson Reuters (2018/2019).
- Frequent lecturer in seminars and conferences in Chile and abroad.