Recognized since 2013
Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
Nancy's practice focuses on employee benefits, executive compensation and ERISA litigation. Her experience encompasses the full range of employee benefits, including the design, implementation, communication, administration, amendment and termination of all types of qualified and nonqualified plans, executive compensation arrangements, equity-based compensation plans, health and welfare plans, cafeteria and flexible spending accounts, fringe benefit programs, and funding and asset investment arrangements. Her clients are plan sponsors that are publicly-traded and closely-held companies; governmental and tax-exempt entities, consultants, trustees and other third-party service providers.
Nancy's specific experience in employee benefits law is extensive and wide-ranging. She advises clients regarding compliance with applicable federal law, coordination among state laws and the impact of new legislation, regulations and rulings. She provides practical solutions to technical compliance issues and the common and not-so-common problems arising from plan administration. She guides and educates plan fiduciaries as to their duties and responsibilities under ERISA. She advises clients on the benefits and compensation aspects of corporate acquisitions, mergers and divestitures and other corporate and financial transactions. She develops employee communications, administrative procedures and documentation. She advises, and has represented in court, plan administrators regarding responses to employee benefit claims under union and nonunion plans.
On behalf of her clients, Nancy negotiates benefits issues with the IRS, DOL and PBGC and contracts with trustees, investment managers, administrative service organizations, benefit providers and insurance companies. She advises clients on stock options, restricted stock, deferred compensation and IRC 409A issues, and she prepares executive compensation materials for presentation to corporate boards of directors and for inclusion in proxy materials and prospectuses. She prepares required reporting and disclosure documents, conducts required testing and secures prohibited transaction exemptions. Nancy also represents clients in employee benefits-related litigation.
Nancy has been a contributing editor to EBIA’s ERISA Compliance for Health and Welfare Plans through December 31, 2016. She lectures frequently on a variety of employee benefits topics.
Prior to joining the firm in 2004, Nancy was a partner at a large mid-western law firm and an associate with nationally recognized New York- and Philadelphia-based law firms. Before going to law school, Nancy was an employee benefits professional at an international consulting firm and a public utility company.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.bhfs.com/people/attorneys/p-s/nstrelau
- E-mail: email@example.com
- 410 Seventeenth Street, Suite 2200
Denver, CO 80202-4432
- Temple University , J.D., graduated 1992
- Muhlenberg College, BA, graduated 1981
- Colorado, Colorado Bar Association
- New Jersey, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- American Bar Association - Member of Tax Section
- Colorado State Board of Veterinary Medicine - Board Member
- Colorado Women's Bar Association - Member
- International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans - Member
- National Association of Stock Plan Professionals - Member
- Western Pension & Benefits Conference - Member of Denver Chapter
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, Denver (2022)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Colorado Super Lawyers 2012-2016
- Chambers USA, America's Leading Business Lawyers, 2011-2016 (first tier)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.