Recognized since 2018
An incisive thinker and passionate client advocate, Monica Garcia Harms chairs Stein Sperling’s family law practice group, where she has practiced for more than fifteen years. Monica maintains a very robust and diverse family law practice, focusing her work not only on divorce, but on complex and often emotionally fraught matters such as custody, support, domestic violence, pre- and post-nuptial agreements, alimony, property distribution, grandparent visitation, contempt/enforcement actions, adoptions, and guardianships.
Monica is passionate about helping people manage difficult situations. She is a careful, thoughtful listener who seeks to understand exactly what her clients want and why. She understands the weighty concerns her clients carry and works diligently and compassionately to educate them about options and possibilities, exploring together what will best meet their needs. Monica often represents clients in custody cases involving difficult issues such as relocation, mental illness or third party custodians. She is also known for tracking down financial resources and understands complex compensation and business interests. Monica’s attention to detail and the trusting relationships she establishes with those who seek her help enable her to craft personalized case strategies and skillfully represent clients through negotiation or litigation.
Monica is frequently asked to speak on issues of domestic violence, divorce, and custody. She has lectured before the Bar Association of Montgomery County’s Pro Bono section on how to present Protective Order cases.
- 1101 Wootton Parkway, Suite 700
Rockville, MD 20852
- University of California - Los Angeles, B.A., graduated 1999
- The George Washington University, J.D., graduated 2002
- Maryland, State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Montgomery County - Executive Committee (2010-2012); New Practitioner’s Section, Chamber Chats Coordinator (2007-2008); Fall Outing Committee, Silent Auction Chair (2006-2010); Social Committee, Member (2007-2008), Co-Chair (2011-2012)
- Women’s Bar Association of Maryland, Montgomery County Chapter - Executive Committee (2009-2014); Museletter monthly newsletter, Co-Chair (2006-2011); Triennial Silent Auction, Donations Chair (2010)
- Montgomery County, Maryland American Inn of Court, - Associate Member (2004-2006)
- The Washington Ballet Women's Committee - Executive Committee (2017-present)
- Family Law
- Best Lawyers in America (2017-2020)
- Maryland Super Lawyer (2015-2019); Top 100 Attorneys in Maryland (2015-2016); Top 50 Female Attorneys in Maryland (2015-2016)
- Maryland Super Lawyer, Rising Star (2009-2014)
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer (2015-2018)
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer, Rising Star (2013-2014)
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, President’s Citation for Outstanding Service (2007, 2012)
- Montgomery County, Maryland Bar Foundation, Bar Leader (2008-present)
- Bethesda Magazine; Top Divorce Lawyers (2013, 2017); Readers' Pick, A Top Vote Getter, Best Family Law Practitioner 2018
- The Daily Record Leading Women(2016)VIP List: Very Important Professionals, Successful by 40 (2012)
- Family Law Mediation
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.