Recognized since 2021
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Health Care Law
Litigation - Health Care
Litigation - Insurance
Michelle Hernandez has tried cases to judgment in both state and federal court and is a member of the firm’s Litigation Department. She has more than 20 years of extensive experience in all aspects of civil litigation including: products liability, professional liability, asbestos litigation, construction defect, and insurance coverage. She also works on appellate and regulatory matters. Significantly, she was a member of the appellate team that successfully overturned a $53 million nursing home verdict, which at the time had been New Mexico’s largest personal injury verdict.
Michelle has also represented clients in a broad range of commercial matters, including real estate and contract disputes and will contests. She has also represented public entities such as law enforcement agencies and public schools in a variety of matters including employment matters and personal injury claims.
She has represented healthcare providers including nursing homes, assisted living facilities, nurses and physicians in litigation, regulatory compliance, licensing, and Medicaid/Medicare reimbursement matters. She has also provided advice on administrative matters.
Michelle also has experience in government relations, lobbying for economic development legislation at both the State and County level. She also has experience in state and local procurement and in drafting and reviewing procurement contracts. In addition, Michelle has provided advice to individual clients on business formation and contract liability issues.
Her vast experience and counsel has helped clients strategically navigate difficult litigation and complex commercial matters by providing them with early strategic thinking and efficient litigation and risk management advice.
Michelle has achieved an AV® rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating for professional ethics and legal ability by her peers and has been included in the Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers since 2014. She is among those listed in Southwest Super Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America©.
Born and raised in Albuquerque, New Mexico, she has family throughout Northern New Mexico. Prior to joining Modrall Sperling, Michelle served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Joseph F. Baca, Senior Justice for the New Mexico Supreme Court. Michelle serves on Modrall Sperling’s Executive Committee, and is Chair of the firm’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee.
- 500 Fourth Street, NW, Suite 1000
P.O. Box 2168
Albuquerque, NM 87103
- University of California Los Angeles, J.D., graduated 1997
- University of New Mexico, B.A. Political Science, graduated 1993
- New Mexico, New Mexico 1997
- New Mexico, U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico 2000
- New Mexico, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit 1999
- Albuquerque Hispano Chamber of Commerce - Board of Directors, 2013-present; Vice Chair, Executive Committee, 2016-present; Chair Elect, 2016-2017; Chair, 2017-2018
- H. Vearle Payne American Inns of Court - Member, 2000-2003
- Hispanic National Bar Association - Member, 1997-present; Regional President, 2015-2019; Deputy Regional Vice-President, 2008-2009; Annual Convention Steering Committee and CLE Coordinator, 2009
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC ) - Member, 2005-present; Southwest Regional Committee Chair, 2017-present; General Convention Chair, 2019; National Membership Committee, 2011-present; Diversity Committee’s Co-Vice Chair for Diverse Member Involvement, 2014-present
- Kirtland Air Force Base - Honorary Commander
- Leadership Albuquerque - Member, 2004-2005
- Leadership Albuquerque Alumni Association - Chair, 2007
- Leadership New Mexico Core Program, 2019-2020 - Member
- National Institute of Flamenco - Board of Directors, 2016-2018
- New Mexico Association of Commerce and Industry - Member, 2007-2011; Board of Directors, 2009-2011; Vice-Chair, Legal Reform Committee, 2011; Chair, Legal Reform Committee, 2010
- New Mexico Bar Association - Member
- New Mexico Commission on Professionalism - Executive Committee, 2012-2016
- New Mexico Defense Lawyers Association - President, 2012; Board of Directors, 2007-2012
- New Mexico Supreme Court Committee on the Rules of Civil Procedure - Member, 2011-2017
- State Bar of New Mexico, 1997-present - Committee on Women and the Legal Profession, 2013-present; Co-Chair 2014
- United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce - Host Committee, 2019
- University of New Mexico Alumni Association - Awards Committee, 2003-present
- Health Care Law, Albuquerque (2024)
- Appellate Practice
- Health Care Law
- Litigation - Health Care
- Litigation - Insurance
- “100 Women Who Inspire Us” – American Bar Association’s 2019 Women in Litigation Joint CLE Conference
- Albuquerque Business First, Diverse Business Leader, 2019
- Albuquerque Business First, Woman of Influence, 2014
- Albuquerque Journal 2020 Women in Business Winner
- Best Lawyers in America©, Health Care Law, Litigation – Health Care, Litigation – Insurance, 2021
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation, 2010-present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers, 2014
- New Mexico Business Weekly, 40 Under Forty, 2011
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, 2007-present
- Southwest Super Lawyers® (derived from a lawyer survey), 2014-present
- Who’s Who in American Law, 2007
- Insurance Law
- Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.