Recognized since 2005
Des Moines, Iowa
Litigation - ERISA
Michael Thrall is a member of the firm’s Litigation Department and practices in the area of commercial litigation; life, health, and disability insurance litigation; ERISA litigation; railroad litigation; and complex tort defense.
Michael is a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers. He has also been recognized by Best Lawyers in the categories of Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, and ERISA Litigation. He is a Fellow in the Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers and a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, the International Association of Defense Counsel, and the National Association of Railroad Trial Attorneys. Michael is a past President of ABOTA's Iowa Chapter, a past President of the Iowa Defense Counsel Association, and is a former DRI State Representative.
Michael serves on the Defense Research Institute’s Life, Health, and Disability Committee and is a member of DRI’s Data Management and Security Committee and DRI's Commercial Litigation Committee.
Personal Injury and Tort Defense
Life and Disability Insurance Litigation
Intellectual Property Litigation
Insurance Coverage and Conduct
Health Care Litigation
Construction and Real Estate Litigation
Business and Commercial Litigation
Banks and Financial Institution Litigation
Administrative Hearings, Arbitrations, and ADR
Data Breach and Information Security
Estate, Trust, and Fiduciary Litigation
Iowa State University (B.S., 1977)
University of Iowa (J.D., with high distinction, 1980)
Admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in Iowa, the Western District of Wisconsin, the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, the Court of Claims, and the United States Supreme Court. Admitted pro hac vice in numerous state and federal courts across the United States.
Law Clerk, Hon. Harold D. Vietor, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Iowa, 1980-1982
Contact & Links
- 700 Walnut Street, Suite 1600
Des Moines, IA 50309-3899
- Iowa State University, graduated 1977
- The University of Iowa, graduated 1980
- Iowa, The Iowa State Bar Association
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel - Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel - Member
- C. Edwin Moore Inn of Court - Master
- Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association - President 2005-2006
- DRI - The Voice of the Defense Bar - State Representative 2007-2010
- American Board of Trial Advocates - President, Iowa Chapter 2009-2010
- United States District Court
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Litigation - ERISA
- Commercial Litigation
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.