Michael is a Certified Specialist in Criminal Law and a partner at Abergel Goldstein & Partners LLP.
Michael’s laid-back charm disarms the toughest witnesses and has an irresistible effect on judges and juries alike. Michael has developed a broad-ranging criminal litigation practice, and has appeared before all levels of court. He has defended cases ranging from simple assaults to large drug projects, to complex murders, and has had particular success before juries.
Michael has beed described as a ‘brilliant lawyer‘ in Canada’s House of Commons and he frequently appears as an expert witness before the House of Commons and the Senate, providing expert evidence on criminal-law policy and legislation.
In 2018 Michael was awarded the Senate 150th Medal for “his professional expertise and experience to help craft some of the most complex pieces of Canadian policy and legislation.”
Michael is also a co-hosts of the award winning popular legal and political podcast The Docket.
Michael has served as a director of the Criminal Lawyers’ Association. He later served as a treasurer, and vice-president, of the Defence Counsel Association of Ottawa. He has been a guest instructor at the University of Ottawa law school, Carleton University, and Algonquin College and has presented at numerous professional education conferences.
Michael was called to the Bar in 2005 after attending law school at Dalhousie University and articling in Toronto at the well-known criminal law firm Hicks Block Adams.
- 116 Lisgar Street, Suite 200
Ottawa, ON K2P 0C2
- Dalhousie University, Batchelor of Law, graduated 2004
- McMaster University, Batchelor of Science, graduated 2001
- Ontario, 2005
- Criminal Lawyers' Association - Past Director
- Defence Counsel Association of Ottawa - Past President
- Law Society Ontario - Member
- Criminal Defence, Ottawa, Canada (2023)
- Criminal Defence
- 2022-2023 Canadian Lawyer, Top 5 Criminal Law Boutiques
- 2014 Clawbie award for legal blogging
- 2016 Clawbie award for podcasting
- 2017 Clawbie award for podcasting
- 2018 Fodden award for Best Canadian Legal Blog
- 2020 Clawbie Hall of Fame Inductee
- Canadian Lawyer's - Top 25 Most Influential 2020
- Canadian Senate 150th Medal
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.