Recognized since 2009
Information Technology Law
- Attorney at Law admitted in Düsseldorf (1st instance and Court of Appeal), Germany, born August 21, 1958, Recklinghausen, Germany, Citizen of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Education and Former Activities: 1989 – 2000 with Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek, Attorneys at Law, Certified Public Accountants, Düsseldorf, Germany and Brussels, Belgium; 2000 – 2003 Partner in PricewaterhouseCoopers Veltins Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH, Düsseldorf; since 01/2004: Partner in Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek, Düsseldorf, again.
- Areas of Professional Activities: Media law including sports and entertainment, IT contracts and IT litigation, telecommunications, European and German competition law, general European Union law, especially internal market matters, gaming and betting law.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lawyer Page: https://www.heuking.de/en/lawyers/michael-schmittmann.html
- Georg-Glock-Straße 4
- Germany, 1989
- International Bar Association (IBA) (Former Chairman of SGP Committee 7 – Public Law) - Member
- International Technology Law Association ( I Tech Law) - Member
- Study Circle for Press Law and Press Freedom - Member
- Media Law, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany (2018)
- Regulatory Practice, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany (2017)
- Gaming Law
- Information Technology Law
- Media Law
- Regulatory Practice
- 2012 - The International Who’s Who Legal of Regulatory Communications Lawyers: “Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek earns two lawyers recommendations […] Michael Schmittmann is at the “forefront” of the sector [telecommunications, media and IT] and was “highly precised” in our research”.
- 2012 - The International Who’s Who Legal of Regulatory Communications Lawyers, Internet, E-Commerce & data Protection: „At Heuking Kühn Lüer Michael Schmittmann combines his IT practice with antitrust law and media and telecommunications expertise. He advises companies and state institutions on e-commerce and gaming law.”
- 2012/13 -JUVE Manual: “Frequently recommended lawyer”.
- 2013 - The International Who’s Who Legal of Germany 2013, Internet, E-Commerce & data Protection: “High flyer” Michael Schmittmann is experienced in handling large-scale telecoms licenses for national and international companies as part of the IT practice at Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek. He is also skilled in litigation, and regularly provides advice to international companies looking to expand into the highly regulated German market.”
- 2013 - The International Who’s Who Legal of Germany 2013, Regulatory Communications: „At Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek, Michael Schmittmann and Dirk Stolz were both ranked highly by our respondents. Schmittmann is “one of the best regulatory lawyers in Germany” and his work focuses on media, telecommunications, information technology and gaming and betting law. Stolz is “truly excellent” and a “rising star” in the field.”
- 2013/14 - Weekly business magazine “WirtschaftsWoche”: “… recommended lawyer as one of the “Top 25” in the current ranking “Germany’s Top IT Law Firms” issued in July 2012
- 2016/17 - “Lawyer of the year” in the area of regulated industries, issued by Handelsblatt and Best Lawyer “Best of the Best” listed as Gaming and Gambling Law expert (one of 35 worldwide)
- 2017 - Who’s Who Legal – TMT Germany listed as “one of the country’s leading lawyers active in the telecommunications, media and technology sectors and one of the four most highly regarded individuals in telecoms and media”. He is described as “Key player on the international scene known for his broad practice covering telecommunications and IT law, as well as entertainment and broadcasting law. Sources describe him as ‘first rate practitioner’.”
- Media Law International 2017 – “The IP, media and technology practice at Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek provides transactional, contractual and regulatory advice to gaming and entertainment clients. The firm has notable experience advising broadcasters, with one client noting: ’We are a pay-television platform operator and our company relies on Heuking’s profound expertise in media, copyright, contract, company and antitrust law. We always appreciated Heuking’s professional legal advice, excellent work results and high flexibility on resources and timing. Head of department Michael Schmittmann is unfailingly cheerful, very patient and always full of good professional advice,” explained one client, adding: “I would recommend the firm and Mr Schmittmann without hesitation!”.”
- Who’s Who Legal Germany 2018 – “Most Highly Regarded” as one of 8 leading experts in TMT: “Michael Schmittmann is one of the foremost practitioners of IT, media & technology law in Germany and enjoys a stellar reputation in the market.”
- Who‘s Who Legal Data 2019 – Telecoms & Media - Leading Individuals Germany: „At Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek, Michael Schmittmann is a sought-after practitioner who impresses with his work in regulatory and compliance matters within the TMT sectors, acting for a wide range of prominent clients.“
- In WWL Thought Leaders in Germany 2019 Michael Schmittman is listed in the category „Data“
Tell us a little bit about your practice and what makes it unique.
What common questions are you asked by clients, and what are your answers?
Describe one of your most interesting or memorable cases in the past year.
What is most challenging about your area(s) of expertise?
Were there any particular inspirations (people or events) that spurred your interest in your practice area(s)?
What other interests do you have?
Anything else you’d like to share?
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.