Recognized since 2003
Litigation - Banking and Finance
Litigation - Insurance
Litigation - Securities
Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
For more than ten years, Mike Pennington has been voted by his peers for listing in The Best Lawyers in America, where he is specifically recognized for his skills in defending Commercial Litigation, Mass Tort Litigation, and Bet-the-Company Litigation. He also is recognized in both the Chambers USA and nationalSuper Lawyers listings of top U.S. lawyers.
Mike chairs the Class Action and Complex Litigation Practice Team, and his primary areas of practice include complex litigation, class action defense, financial services litigation, insurance litigation and general commercial litigation. Much of Mike’s practice is devoted to defending financial services litigation, insurance litigation, and class action litigation not just in Alabama, but throughout the Southeast. His clients include Ally, Inc. and its subsidiaries, Fannie Mae, Ocwen Financial Corporation, Torchmark Corporation, Pacific Life Insurance Company, Liberty National Life Insurance Company, Untied American Life Insurance Company, MONY Life Insurance Company, The Principal Financial Group, Great American Insurance Company, Jefferson Pilot Life Insurance Company, AXA-Equitable Insurance Company, United Investors Life Insurance Company, Genworth, MAPCO, Pharmacia, and Monsanto, among others. Mike frequently speaks at seminars around the country on class action litigation and other topics. His most recent speaking engagement was at ACI’s 14th National Conference on Consumer Finance Class Actions & Litigation, which was held in Chicago on July 30-31, 2012.
- One Federal Place
1819 Fifth Avenue North
Birmingham, AL 35203
- Harvard University, J.D., graduated 1984
- University of Alabama - Birmingham, B.A., graduated 1979
- Alabama, Alabama State Bar Association
- ABA - Member, Class & Derivative Actions Committee and Tort & Insurance Practice Section
- ALFA International - Insurance Steering Committee Member and Life, Health & Disability Subcommittee Steering Committee Member
- Association of Life Insurance Counsel - Member
- DRI - Member
- United States District Court
- Litigation - Banking and Finance, Birmingham (2013)
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Law
- Litigation - Banking and Finance
- Litigation - Insurance
- Litigation - Securities
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
- Listed in Chambers USA, Litigation: General Commercial, 2009-2013
- Listed in Benchmark Litigation
- Listed in Alabama Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2012-2013
- Mass Tort Litigation
- Personal Injury Litigation
"Michael is an expert in class action litigation. His case insight and familiarity with plaintiff's counsel and the local judges adds significant value to a representation."
"Simply put, Mike Pennington is a brilliant lawyer. He has that rare combination of intelligence, common sense, and good judgment. Mike is both an excellent writer and a very effective communicator."
- E. Duncan Hamilton (Liberty National Life Insurance Company), Birmingham, AL
"Mike is one of the most intuitive and bright people I have ever worked with. He can size up a complex situation very quickly and devise an action plan almost instantaneously. He is a fair-minded person who tries to find a solution to the problem at hand. He is very responsive to contact and follows up quickly. All in all, he is a pleasure to work with during the sometimes trying and difficult circumstances he is guiding us through."
- Rob Jennings (Collateral Holdings, Ltd.), Birmingham, AL
"Mike gets to the meat of the coconut. He is sharp as a razor, focused, and, just as important, he is efficient and user friendly."
- John Livingston (United Investors Life Insurance Company), Birmingham, AL
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.