Recognized since 2020
Michael Ostrove is the Global Co-Chair of DLA Piper's International Arbitration group. Also currently a Vice-President of the ICC’s International Court of Arbitration, Michael is member of both the Paris and New York bars, he has over 25 years' experience handling international commercial arbitrations, investment arbitrations and other public international law disputes, as well as domestic litigation, primarily related to enforcement and annulment of arbitral awards.
Michael has advised on a wide range of arbitration matters – including English and French language cases administered by the ICC, ICSID, the LCIA, and the PCA, as well as ad hoc arbitrations pursuant to the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules and the OHADA Uniform Arbitration Act. He also has extensive experience in corruption investigations, advising both multinational corporations and state authorities.
Michael has handled numerous investment treaty disputes both for and against sovereign states. His investment cases and commercial disputes have involved a variety of sectors, including mining, oil and gas (upstream and downstream), pharmaceuticals, infrastructure, agriculture, telecoms and distribution. His experience in litigation covers a wide range of areas before American and French courts, other national courts, as well as before the International Court of Justice and the Court of Justice of the European Union.
Michael teaches international arbitration in an advanced degree program at the Université de Paris II, and he is one of the editors of Choice of Venue in International Arbitration (OUP, 2014). He speaks and publishes frequently on international investment law, and he is regularly named as a leading practitioner by the specialized press.
Michael is ranked in Chambers Global, which notes that he is described by clients as "a real class act." Chambers also comments that Michael is "detail-oriented, thorough and forceful in his advocacy." Michael has been selected to Who’s Who Legal’s prestigious list of “Thought Leaders” for international arbitration, and Who's Who Legal France has reported that he "is deemed a 'great advocate'" and that "he is praised for his 'measured and strikingly accurate' advice to clients." In July 2021, Jeune Afrique ranked Michael for the fifth consecutive year as among the most influential lawyers working in francophone Africa – one of the few arbitration specialists on their list.
Contact & Links
- 27 rue Lafitte
- France, Avocat admitted to the Paris Bar
- Advisory Committee to the Wayne State University Law School Program for International Legal Studies - Member
- American Bar Association’s Section on International Law - Member
- American Society of International Law - Member
- Executive Committee of FIAA (Foundation for International Arbitration Advocacy) - Member
- French Arbitration Comittee - Member
- International Arbitration Commission of ICC France - Member
- International Arbitration Institute - Member
- International Bar Association's Arbitration Committee (in which he was a member of the Task Force reviewing the IBA Guidelines on Conflicts of Interest in International Arbitration) - Member
- International Bar Association's Mediation Committee (on which he was past co-Chair of the Investor-State Mediation Sub-Committee) - Member
- Swiss Arbitration Association - Member
- Attorney-at-law admitted with the Supreme Court of New York
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in France™ 2023 for work in:
- International Arbitration
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.