Michael has more than 20 years' experience as a disputes/litigation lawyer. He has an accounting degree and a street-wise approach.
Michael specialises in:
- Recovery of money and assets out of trade, finance or fraudulent transactions, both in Australia and internationally.
- Corporate and personal insolvency/bankruptcy law, director's duties, prosecution and defence of liquidators or receivers claims.
- Transactional structuring, strategic risk management, and distressed company restructuring.
- Commercial property and lease disputes.
Michael is a tenacious litigator when required, and has conducted numerous court actions as counsel at all levels, including the High Court. However, Michael prefers to assist companies and financiers generate favourable business outcomes while keeping technical legal issues and protracted court disputes to a minimum.
Michael completed the Insolvency Practitioners Association of Australia Advanced Insolvency Course in 1992 and was one of the first lawyers in Australia to be admitted to full membership of the Association.
Recent Experience Includes:
- Advising US based global investment manager in relation to a major distressed debt investment and exit strategies in Australia.
- Advising US, European, and Asian corporate entities or insolvency administrators in relation to tracing and recovering assets in Australia.
- Advising Australian based entities in relation to tracing and recovering assets taken overseas fraudulently and via more sophisticated commercial devices such as transfer pricing.
- Advising a European based multinational in relation to a public sector (large infrastructure) procurement and unfair tender process in Australia.
- Advising Australian property owners or tenants on advancement or defence of various claims under leases, guarantees, and other contracts including substantial claims for make good/property damage.