Mike is an experienced business counsel, representing public and private companies in mergers, acquisitions and financings. He combines his general business experience with his energy experience to represent companies in business transactions in the traditional and alternative energy fields.
He is recognized as a leader in energy law and has been included in The Best Lawyers in America® for the last 16 consecutive years.
Mike has served three terms as the managing partner of Tonkon Torp, most recently for the nine-year period from 2006 to 2015. Selected Electric Energy Experience:
- Represented Portland General Electric in obtaining regulatory approval of the merger of Portland General Corporation and Enron Corp.
- Represented Enron Corp. in seeking regulatory approvals for the sale of Portland General Electric Company to Sierra Pacific Industries, Northwest Natural Gas Company and Texas Pacific Group, and for the distribution of Portland General
- Electric common stock to creditors as part of Enron's bankruptcy plan.
- Utility ratemaking, including representation of Portland General Electric in its 2001 and 2007 general rate cases.
- Integrated resource planning; preparation and analysis of RFPs.
- Bonneville Power Administration proceedings, including wholesale power rate cases, transmission rate cases, subscription agreements and power and transmission agreements.
- Negotiation of power purchase agreements for wind energy developments.
- Acquisition and sale of wind energy developments.
- Formation and financing of wind energy projects.
- Development and sale of PURPA projects.
- Formation, tax credit financing and power purchase agreements for an ODOT/ PGE/US Bank solar project.
- Formation, tax credit financing and power purchase agreements for a Prologis/PGE/US Bank solar project.
- Solar power purchase agreement for a major governmental entity.
- Purchase, sale and financing of hospitals.
- Purchase, sale and financing of assisted living facilities and Alzheimer's facilities.
- Reorganization of construction company with worldwide operations.
- Purchase and financing of $130 million of credit card receivables.