Michael J. Cook
Recognized in:Litigation - Construction
Law School:University of Denver Sturm College of Law
Location:633 Seventeenth Street, Suite 3000Denver, CO 80202-3624
- College of Idaho, BA, graduated 1971
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law, JD, graduated 1977
- American Bar Association’s Forum Committee on the Construction Industry - Member
- American Arbitration Association’s Construction industry panel of arbitrators and mediators - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for:
- Litigation - Construction, Denver (2012)
- Construction Law, Denver (2011)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Litigation - Construction
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- Listed in Colorado Super Lawyers
- Colorado Lawyers Committee Individual of the Year 1993 and 2004
- Ranked in Chambers USA – Real Estate: Construction Colorado
- BTI Client Service All Star, Super All Star and MVP, 2011
- Obtained a $20 million jury verdict, including $9 million in punitive damages, for a general contractor on an airport runway construction project at the Denver International Airport.
- Lead counsel for City in litigation against general contractor and pipe manufacturer involving a high pressure water pipeline. $19.5 million settlement obtained for City; general contractor received no compensation on its $10 million differing site conditions claim against City.
- Claim preparation and litigation through trial of $5.5 million claim by a general contractor for delays and cost overruns on a railroad tunnel ventilation project. $5.5 million judgment obtained for the general contractor.
- Claim preparation and successful mediation of $9 million in claims for general contractor on San Francisco high-rise retirement home.
- Successful mediation of $8 million claim for general contractor on steel manufacturing facility.
- Represented general contractor in successful negotiation of a $6 million claim on a resort hotel project.
Contract Preparation and Negotiation
- Prepared CMGC contract documents for $90 million water treatment plant expansion.
- Prepared $17 million design-build agreement for owner renovating downtown Denver high-rise and $10 million design-build agreement for owner on an operations center.
- Negotiated and prepared joint venture agreements for contractors on multi-million dollar construction projects.
- Prepared design services agreement and construction contract for public owner on $30 million justice center complex and for numerous small projects.
- Prepared construction documents and related agreements for quasi-governmental entity on multi-million dollar public-private construction project and for contractor on public-private buy-design-build-operate water treatment facility.
201 East Washington Street, Suite 800
Phoenix, AZ 85004
7033 East Greenway Parkway, Suite 250
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
730 East Durant Avenue, Suite 200
Aspen, CO 81611
90 South Cascade Avenue, Suite 1500
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Two Peachtree Pointe, Suite 850
1555 Peachtree Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30309
50 West Liberty Street, Suite 1000
Reno, NV 89501
500 Marquette Avenue Northwest, Suite 1203
Albuquerque, NM 87102