McGlinchey Stafford PLLC
Recognized since 1995
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Litigation - Banking and Finance
Michael H. Rubin is a member in the firm's Baton Rouge office.Business
Recognized for the depth of his knowledge about both business litigation and commercial financing, Mike has served as President of both the U.S. Federal Fifth Circuit Bar Association and the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, and for more than three decades has taught the course on Louisiana finance and real estate at the LSU Law School and other law schools throughout the state. His numerous law review articles and publications on real estate and finance have been cited as authoritative by state and federal courts, including the U.S. Fifth Circuit and the U.S. First Circuit. Mike is one of only fifty U.S. attorneys elected to the Anglo-American Real Property Institute and is one of only four voting Board members. He is active in the ABA's Real Property Section, the American Law Institute and is a member of numerous other business organizations, including the American College of Appellate Lawyers and the American College of Commercial Finance Attorneys.Litigation
Known for appellate advocacy, Mike has argued major cases before numerous state and federal appellate courts (including the U.S. Fifth, and Seventh, and D.C. Circuit Courts of Appeal, and the Louisiana Supreme Court, and numerous state intermediate appellate courts) on matters such as: constitutional law; labor law; legal ethics; local governmental zoning affecting private interests; property and contractual issues; oil and gas matters affecting the entire Gulf region; taxation; education issues; and matters of critical importance to the Louisiana lending community. Mike is a past president of the U.S. Fifth Circuit Bar Association, and currently serves on its Board of Directors, and is a member of the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers, and has served as a member of the Fifth Circuit Rules Committee. Trials he has handled have included ground-breaking cases in the area of Louisiana finance and secured lending; major multi-million dollar commercial cases involving contract disputes, construction issues, and commercial transactions; trials of national importance concerning federal voting rights, bankruptcy, environmental law and constitutional issues.Government
Mike is regularly retained by governmental agencies in connection with major constitutional and educational matters affecting the state. He has successfully handled matters concerning the constitutional financing of education in Louisiana, the ability of the Louisiana Supreme Court to pass rules and regulations affecting the practice of law, and litigation that sought to undermine state statutes and contracts relating to gaming.Elected and Appointed Offices
Mike has served as president of: the American College of Real Estate Lawyers (2007); the Louisiana State Bar Association (2001-2002); the Southern Conference of Bar Presidents (2001-2002); the Bar Association of the United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit (1998-2000); the Baton Rouge Bar Association (1986-1987); the Baton Rouge Bar Foundation (1987); and the Baton Rouge Property Lawyers Group (1982).
Mike has served as chair of: ABA Real Property Section's Ethics Committee (2008-present); the Louisiana State Bar Hurricane Relief Committee (2006); as well as the Civil Justice Reform Act Committee of the Federal District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana; the Advisory Committee on the Uniform Local Rules of the Federal District Courts in Louisiana; and the Louisiana Bank Counsel Committee, Louisiana Banker's Association.
Mike has served as a Board Member of: the American College of Real Estate Lawyers; the Bar Association of the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals; the Anglo-American Real Property Institute; the National Conference of Bar Presidents; the American College of Real Estate Lawyers Charitable Foundation; the Louisiana Bar Foundation; and the LSU Law Center National Board of Trustees.
Mike has been appointed and elected to serve as a member of: the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers; the American Law Institute; the American College of Mortgage Attorneys; the Anglo-American Real Property Institute; the American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers (1997-present); the American Bar Association (1975-present; House of Delegates, 2000-2002); the Louisiana Law Institute (advisory member for various committees, 1979-present); the Louisiana Sec. of State's Commission on Corporations, Advisory Committee; the ABA Section Officers Conference on Ethics and Professionalism; the U.S. Fifth Circuit Rules Committee (1999-2000); the Louisiana Supreme Court Committee on Judicial Ethics (1999-2002); and the Louisiana Supreme Court Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Committee (1987-1995).
Mike has served as an editor of a number of legal journals, including the ABA Section on Litigation Appellate Practice and Update Journal (Update Editor), the Louisiana Bar Journal, and Louisiana Law Review (Articles Editor).
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.mcglinchey.com/people/michael-h-rubin/
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 301 Main Street, Suite 1400
Baton Rouge, LA 70801
- Amherst College, BA, graduated 1972
- Louisiana, Louisiana Bar
- American Association of Commercial Finance Attorneys - Member
- American Bar Association - Chair
- American Bar Foundation - Member
- Louisiana Bar Foundation - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Litigation - Banking and Finance, Baton Rouge (2019)
- Appellate Practice, Baton Rouge (2017)
- Litigation - Banking and Finance, Baton Rouge (2016)
- Bet-the-Company Litigation, Baton Rouge (2015)
- Litigation - Banking and Finance, Baton Rouge (2014)
- Bet-the-Company Litigation, Baton Rouge (2010)
- Banking and Finance Law, Baton Rouge (2009)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Appellate Practice
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Litigation - Banking and Finance
- Business Disputes
- Civil Litigation
- Class Actions
- Commercial Finance
- Complex Litigation
- Real Estate
- The Distinguished Attorney of Louisiana,” Louisiana Bar Foundation (2012)
- “Distinguished Alumnus of the LSU Law School,” (2007)
- Baton Rouge Bet-the-Company Litigation "Lawyer of the Year," Best Lawyers in America®, 2010, 2014, 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell™ AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated Lawyer
- Louisiana Super Lawyers (Appellate, Business Litigation, Real Estate), 2007–2016
- Selected in 2013 as a Top Rated Lawyer in banking and finance by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell™
- Louisiana Commissioner to the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws (2010–present)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.