Michael A. Backer
Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis LLP
Recognized since 1993
Woodbridge, New Jersey
Litigation - Trusts and Estates
Trusts and Estates
Mr. Backer concentrates his practice in estate planning, estate and trust administration and fiduciary litigation. He brings over forty years of specialized experience to his representation of individuals, owners of closely held businesses, executors, administrators, trustees and beneficiaries. He aggressively manages will disputes, will construction proceedings, accounting and other fiduciary litigation for individuals and New Jersey-based bank trust departments. He advises and implements wealth transfer strategies for high net-worth individuals and the owners of closely-held businesses to help them achieve their estate planning objectives while minimizing their transfer tax liabilities. He counsels individual and corporate fiduciaries on all facets of estate and trust administration, preparation of state and federal death and fiduciary income tax returns, post-mortem tax planning and fiduciary accountings.
Mr. Backer has served as an expert witness and, because of his expertise in the area is frequently engaged to mediate complex, contested estate litigation. He is a draftsperson of significant portions of Title 3B, New Jersey’s Probate Code, including The Prudent Investor Act, which significantly revised the rules governing trust investing, The Revised Uniform Principal and Income Act and subsequent revisions to the Code.
Contact & Links
- Metro Corporate Campus One
99 Wood Avenue South
P.O. Box 5600
Woodbridge, NJ 07095
- Rutgers University–Newark, J.D., graduated 1969
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, A.B., graduated 1966
- New Jersey, NJ - 1969
- New York, NY - 1983
- American Bar Association - Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Section
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel - Fellow
- New Jersey State Bar Association - Past Chair, New Jersey Probate Code Revision and Reform Committee
- New Jersey State Bar Association - Past Officer, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section Board of Consultors
43 The Best Lawyers in America® awards
9 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America awards
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Trusts and Estates, Woodbridge (2014)
- Litigation - Trusts and Estates, Woodbridge (2013)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers® in America 2023 for work in:
- Litigation - Trusts and Estates
- Trusts and Estates
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.