Recognized since 2021
Des Moines, Iowa
Employment Law - Management
Litigation - Labor and Employment
Melissa Schilling represents public and private sector employers in labor and employment matters. In that role, she has successfully represented clients in state and federal cases involving a broad range of labor and employment laws, including Title VII, the American with Disabilities Act, and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. Melissa also has extensive experience investigating and handling matters filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (“EEOC”) and related federal and state agencies. Her work before these agencies includes assisting clients at the early charge stage, during governmental investigations, and throughout any subsequent litigation.
In addition to her litigation experience, Melissa has experience counseling employers on a wide range of labor and employment issues, including cyber security issues, discrimination, harassment, FMLA and medical issues in the workplace, technology issues, and discipline matters. In her counseling practice, she takes a proactive approach to responding and resolving various employment issues and assists her clients in establishing policies and procedures necessary to comply with the ever-changing law.
In addition to labor and employment law, Melissa represents real estate companies, condominium associations, and homeowner associations before the Iowa Civil Rights Commission. Melissa’s practice also includes representing real estate companies, banks, and insurance companies in commercial litigation.
As part of her proactive approach to helping clients, Melissa also regularly conducts training for employers on a wide range of employment matters, including prevention of discrimination and harassment, compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Family Medical Leave Act, hiring and recruitment practices, cybersecurity risks and strategies, discipline, supervisor best practices, and appropriate investigation techniques.
Prior to joining Dickinson law, Melissa Schilling practiced labor and employment law with a Chicago law firm, where she represented primarily municipal employers in state and federal litigation, grievance arbitration, and matters pending before the Illinois Labor Relations Board.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.dickinsonlaw.com/attorney-profiles/melissa-a-schilling
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 699 Walnut Street, Suite 1600
Des Moines, IA 50309
- Creighton University , J.D. (Cum Laude, Certificate in Litigation)
- The University of Iowa, B.S. (with Honors)
- Iowa, Polk County Bar Association
- Iowa, Iowa State Bar Association
- United States, American Bar Association
- American Bar Association - Labor and Employment Law Section
- American Bar Association - Litigation Section
- American Bar Association - Young Lawyers Division
- Iowa Council of School Board Attorneys - Member
- Iowa State Bar Association - Labor and Employment Law Section
- Iowa State Bar Association - Litigation Section
- Iowa State Bar Association - Young Lawyers Division
- Polk County Bar Association - Member
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Litigation - Labor and Employment, Des Moines (2022)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Employment Law - Management
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Education Law
- Chambers USASelected for inclusion in the 2018 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business as an “Up and Coming” leader in the area of Labor & Employment Law in the state of Iowa.Chosen for inclusion in the 2019-2020 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a "Leading Individual" in the area of Labor & Employment Law in the state of Iowa. Melissa has drawn the following published commentary from the editors of Chambers USA (2020): "Melissa Schilling handles a wide range of labor and employment matters, including representing clients in litigation before the state and federal courts and providing ongoing advice. Sources say: "Her experience is great and she can explain things to me in a way that I can understand."
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.